RE: [xmca] adult affordances

Hi Michael and others,
This is my first time replying from the digest, so apologies if I break the
thread. I've abridged most of the digest.

This is a fascinating analysis to me, and one that overlaps with some of
the work I'm doing to try to understand children's initiative in paying
attention and making contributions to on-going endeavors in
Indigenous-heritage communities of the Americas. Dewey (1916) has a nice
way of distinguishing between two forms of imitation that I think is
relevant to this thread:

"[The child/student] imitates the means because he wishes, on his own
behalf, as part of his own initiative, to take an effective part [in a
shared endeavor]…imitation of ends, as distinct from imitation of means
which help to reach ends, is a superficial and transitory affair which
leaves little effect upon disposition... It affects outward acts but not
the meaning of their performance.….Imitation of means of accomplishment is…
an intelligent act. It involves close observation, and judicious selection
of what will enable one to do better something which he already is trying
to do. (pp. 35-36)"

When students' attention/participation is placed under rule-based
constraint that serves adult-determined instructional purposes - a pattern
I find myself reproducing by default in much of my teaching - initiative in
engaging with possible ends and possible meanings might be nudged out as an
option for students. This initiative seems to powerfully drive
children's/student's learning precisely because it involves agentic and
intentional engagement in shared goals. By the time students are in our
university classes, they've likely been through years of schooling in which
they are more-or-less handed "ends"/motives/objects by teachers and
grade-driven instructional situations. It's perhaps not surprising then
that students don't do what their instructors would like right away when
given the freedom to make their own choices. Give me a day off of work, and
I might spend it sitting on the couch (or catching up on Facebook). Give me
a week off of work, and I just might find my way back to the parts of my
work that are meaningful to me for my own reasons.

On another note, there is a fair amount of research on cultural patterns of
*simultaneous* attention as contrasted with *alternating* attention. Rogoff
and colleagues have contributed some of this evidence. Many communities, in
which children are consistently integrated into on-going events as
meaningful contributors to shared family/community endeavors, seem to
support children's simultaneous attention to on-going events. The practices
associated with Western schooling in particular seem to encourage attention
alternation. Some food for thought on the idea that it's either Facebook or
the lecture; for some students it might be both at once.

Thanks for sparking some initiative on the part of another lurker.

Best,
---
Andrew D. Coppens
www.andrewcoppens.com