Re: [xmca] adult affordances

Martin et al,

Your suggestion to extend instruction-learning time into the other 164
hours seems to be one way to deal with the situation.
And more than anything, I like your double exam structure, once
individually and once in small groups. That's a fascinating technology!

I like Michael's punchline but it seems to turn less on the value of
technology and more on our Western ethno-psychologies of choice (what we
might otherwise term the fetish of "the sovereignty of the individual").
I'm personally very swayed by these (e.g. Carl Rogers' patient centered
approach) but I can't help but be fascinated by approaches that take the
opposite tack and reject the sovereignty of the individual. Two notable
counter-tropes can be found in the psychotherapeutic approach of Dr. Fritz
Perls and a fuller narrative of a sovereign other can be found in the movie
The Madness of King George (I so want the "therapy" that he receives to not
work b.c. it is so externally impositional - so anti-Carl Rogers!). And I'm
currently working on a paper with a friend (he is doing most of the
writing!) that looks at J. G. Hamann's rejection of Kant's notion of the
sovereignty of the individual. Hamann argues for the importance of a kind
of dependence on and subordination to others (but with constant
possibilities of reversals such that the dependence is always necessarily
mutual).

And, of course, there is a way in which, depending upon how one construes
"choice," one can characterize the "choice" to use media at any and all
times as less than a "choice"; i.e. as a kind of compulsion or even impulse
which we submit to (to return to the enlightenment tropes that say what
makes us human is our ability to transcend impulse and immediacy). I guess
that this is what Martin is hinting at when he speaks of technology turning
us into toddlers - a new kind of mediated immediacy.

So at the end of the day it seems like more a question of "which choice?"

-greg

p.s. sorry for being so "slow" to respond, I was doing writing this morning
with pen and paper and so I went a good 12 hours without checking email.
Hard to imagine!