Re: [xmca] Levy-Bruhl, "primitivism", progress and etc.

Larry:

I think I will stick with the old subject line for now. It's not just that I am afraid of incurring Mike's IRE (an acronym for a particularly baleful form of behavioristic discourse analysis pioneered by Sinclair and Coulthard, namely Initiate-Respond-Evaluate). It is that I really agree with the points he made about access to material. If we are going to offer open access--both to readers and to writers--then the subject line is our only hope for indexing and thus the sole promise of eternal life.

I also think that xmca is our equivalent of an open access journal, and I agree with Andy that we should have also have a non-open access print version; I am only extremely frustrated--as I think many other writers are--that I cannot actually get anything accepted by the journal, not even by co-authors who have been accepted by the journal. But perhaps that is the whole point; some areas of publication must have standards, and standards can be highly exclusive without being particularly high.

And so you see--any good conversation is diffusive as well as discursive. I would like to use this post to comment on a number of different threads--the primitivism thread, the progress thread, the open access thread, and the cohesion/coherence distinction, with a brief aside to answer Mike's query about N. Ia. Marr. But that won't fit in the subject line.

There are two possible solutions. One is centripetal; it is to ignore the surrounding context and to simply choose a subject line that includes all of the things I want to talk about and none of the things I don't want to talk about. And the other is centrifugal; it is to take the subject line as I find it and to ignore all of the things in it that I don't want to talk about.

This time, I choose the latter, because I find in Jay's post the hook that I think ties the all together, and I want to connect Jay's post to the thread. Jay raises the issue of linguistic egalitarianism (not, I think, relativism at all, because relativism is about difference and this is about sameness).

Is it the case that any language can express any thought more or less well, and thus that all languages, that is, all of the diverse mediums so central to the development of human thinking, are in some essential, existential, potential sense equal? If so, then we we are all intellectually equal. If not, some of us are more equal than others.

Jay is a Hallidayan (as, somewhat critically, I am). As a Hallidayan, he thinks that English underwent a fundamental transformation with Newton (as did Latin, Italian, and European languages generally with Galileo). Newton transformed the language in the direction of mathematics: processes such as "to grow" and attributes such as "deep" could be nominalized in forms such as "growth" and "depth".

This allowed processes and attributes to become terms in verbal equations--"Growth" could be the subject of a sentence and could be placed in a relationship with other nouns. We can even talk about the "depth of growth" and "the growth of depth" and even "the depth of growth", which is pretty weird, when you think about it (probably why we say it without thinking very much). These processes and attributes, nominalized, could then be classified, defined, and enter into other thematic relations (which Jay brilliantly describes in one of his earliest books, "Talking Science").

Now, what I want to argue is that this process is only one step (not even the culimination) of a much longer historical process. We can see something of what this process might have been like when we observe how child language develops.

If you think of a three year old nagging his or her mother for a treat on a hot day, you can imagine a series of very very short turns of talk ("I wanna....why not....but I wanna....so gimme...") to which there are somewhat longer rejoinders ("Well, I'm worried that it will spoil your appetite" and "Wait until after you have your dinner" and so on). We can imagine that a great deal of text was once like this: theatrical and dialogic in precisely this way.

But a few years go by, and soon the child's speech much more clearly resembles that of the mother. Now, partly this is because the child has learned to imitate but it is not at all a mindless imitation; far from it. The chld says things no adult would ever say, e.g. "Mommy you said that I could have a double spumoni super duper magnum soda if it woudn't spoil my appetite and I ate a whole diet salad for lunch and it's already three o'clock in the afternoon so....

It's really only when the child goes to college, graduates, and gets a job in a small advertising agency that we find the child writing in a Newtonian manner, and even then it is mostly in a particular kind of language reserved for business contracts ("Distribution of rewards is commensurate with the satisfaction of the following conditions:...") and not in writing advertising slogans (which must be read by little children and their parents) or emails to the boss.

Now there is a very important sense in which Jay is right when he tells us that the Newtonian and Galileian manner of writing is more developed and produces more developed thinking. But it is equally true that this manner of writing is narrower, and that it can always be deconstrued into the forms of writing and speaking which composed it, historically and developmentally.

It seems to me that when linguistic egalitarians like me claim that all languages can express all human thoughts, we are actually making a fairly trivial claim, rather like saying that all writing systems can express, more or less well, every sound that the human vocal tract is capable of making.

It also seems to me that this claim is related, by blood, to Bruner's claim contra Piaget that it is possible to teach any child any truth in some way that it is still true, something I also believe.

Some language (e.g. the child's nagging the mother, and the literary language of Beowulf) do this by giving us one thing and then another. There is complexity, but it is the complexity of the ant walking along the seashore, one step at a time.

The potential coherence, and the actual coherence, of the argument is provided by others, or by the environment, and the actual language user experiences his or her agency only as a potential and not as real free will.

Other language (e.g. the older child who incorporates possible objections from the mother into syntax, and of course the Newtonian and Galileian verbal mathematical language) does this through conceptualization, encouraged, in the case of Enlgish, by a process of nominalization which allows us to place nouns in a hierarchical tree diagramme.

The complexity is much more like the complexity of a vertebrate, because it is incorporated into the text (either as syntax or as complex morphology) rather than placed outside it in the environment or worn externally as an exoskeleton.

Are these languages equal? Yes, and not simply potentially, and not simply because we know, from historical and even developmental experience that we can construe and reconstrue the one into the other.

When we take the view of COHERENCE, we see that the only real difference is that they construe coherence in different ways: the Newtonian model has much more explicit markers of this coherence which linguists call "cohesion", while the small child relies on interpersonal negotiation of coherences as he goes along.

The claim of linguistic egalitarianism, if it were ONLY made on the pie-in-the-sky grounds of "meaning potential" (that is, all languages have the same meaning potential) would be an empty claim. However, it's not empty--it is educationally extremely rich. I would like to base it not on the distinction between meaning potential and realized meaning, but rather on the distinction between coherence and cohesion.

Consider a sentence like:

"I had lunch, because I was hungry."

We will call this "coherence with cohesion". In this sentence, the word "because" realizes coherence as cohesion; it is the speech marker of a relationship which is actually thinking, and not speech.Compare:

"I had lunch, so I was hungry"

We can call this "cohesion without coherence". Of course I know that it is possible to construct a context where this sentence is coherent (e.g. I ate lunch in our professors' cafeteria, which is now experiencing a severe round of cutbacks) but the coherence is not realized by the conventional meaning of the word "so" and instead lies, like the complexity of the child's understanding, in the context, in the sense (smysl) rather than in the canonical, conventional, meaning (znachenie) of the actual speech.

Compare again:

A: Hungry?
B: I had lunch.

We can all this coherence without cohesion, because there is no linguistic overlap of any kind, no repetition of canonical, conventional elements, only pure variation.

I think that the way in which equal meaning potential can be realized by different people and different cultures is (for the moment, in our present period in this century) by means that gradually turn external coherence (interpersonal congruence of wh-questions and answers) into internal cohesion (e.g. the use of wh-clauses not as questions but as clause elements) in speech.

When we consider this process from the point of view of thinking, however, we can see that it is almost the opposite. From the point of view of thinking, it is the external markers of cohesion (e.g. wh-words, or y/n modal elements) which are transformed into internal coherence.

So I think that the claims of linguistic egalitarianism are not empty or simply based on abstract meaning potential. They are in a real, historical sense EDUCATIONALLY very full, because they are based on a real skill: the ability to take coherence without cohesion, to reconstrue it as coherence with cohesion, and to re-reconstrue interpersonal cohesion as various forms of intra-personal coherence.

But that is a very long name for a skill that we must use every single day of our lives. Let us reconstrue it as a single everyday word: teaching.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies

.