Re: [xmca] Progress: Reality or Illusion?

Returning to the original discussion on progress, I'd like to point out that George Novack borrowed heavily from Trotsky's concept of uneven & combined development (later appropriated by Mandel), which was developed, for the first time in detail, in the opening chapter of Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution. http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1930/hrr/ch01.htm

While one could argue that the chapter is burdened with the sins of eurocentrism (if not in content than at least in tone) Trotsky advances an interesting concept of development.

"A backward country assimilates the material and intellectual conquests of the advanced countries. But this does not mean that it follows them slavishly, reproduces all the stages of their past... "Capitalism means, however, an overcoming of those conditions. It prepares and in a certain sense realises the universality and permanence of man?s development...

I think this is an important aspect of the "development of productive forces" and "progress": the spatial universalization and thereby historical constitution of "mankind" through the very real process of the expansion of the world market and the capitalist mode of production. Or, in other words, only with the advent of capitalism, one could speak of world history and start measuring the relative "backwardness" or "progress" of one nation or culture.

Best,

Brecht

--
Brecht De Smet
Doctoral researcher / PhD candidate

Citeren "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net>:

The discussion was around progress, i.e., more or less.
My original formulation was: "On what basis could one evaluate "human progress"? Evaluating or measuring something presupposes some process of measurement, and thus of comparison."
Difference is a qualitative comparison and obviously that it ubiquitous,

Andy

Bruce Robinson wrote:
Andy,

Are you really saying that there are no meaningful qualitative comparisons to be made between different societies? If so, I'm not sure how you make sense of historical development which surely involves more than quantitative changes between different social systems? I also don't think it's compatible with a CHAT perspective.

Bruce

Andy Blunden wrote:
Fair point Greg, but if we interpret the question about "progress" as "meaningful" in the sense you give it as "preferable" it really is meaningless, isn't it? So if I say late capitalism represents progress, meaning I prefer to live under late capitalism (so long as of course I get to choose which spot I occupy and don't get John Rawls' veil of ignorance) what on earth does that mean to me or anyone else?

Andy

Greg Thompson wrote:
To turn Andy's original question on its head: what kind of
*meaningful* comparison can be made "objectively"?

-greg