Re: Levy-Bruhl, concrete psychology and "primitivism" (was: Re: [xmca] Bateson's distinction between digital and analog)

Steve, Martin, and David

The responses by the three of you and also the article by Franklin Rosemont
certainly "primed the pump" of the imagination on the topic of the so
called "primitive" in contrast to the "modern" mind. Martin your comment at
the end of your post when you suggested that any account that assumes or
pre-judges "pre-modern" as a closed system and our own modern accounts as
open-ended

"fails to recognize the 'closed' nature of our own modern universe"  [fails
to recognize ALL perspectives are prejudicial in Gadamer's use of that word]

Closed and open as metaphors is a good place to begin this inquiry.  The
assumption that "dreaming" may have less of a hold on our modern
consciousness than in previous times is another way to open the inquiry.
On page 11 of Rosemont's article he suggests that Marx in his last years
was arguing about the VITALITY of so called primitive societies as
expressed in Morgan's book "Ancient Society"  Obviously THIS
anthropological narrative had a profound vitality on Marx's dreams and
imagination.  Rosemont writes,

"The book's [Ancient Society] sheer immensity of new information - new for
Marx and for the entire scientific world, demonstrated conclusively, the
true complexity of 'primitive" societies as well as their grandeur, their
essential superiority, in real human terms, to the degraded civilization
founded on the fetishism of commodities.  In a note written just after his
conspectus of Morgan we find Marx arguing that 'primitive communities had
INCOMPARABLY GREATER VITALITY than the Semitic, Greek, Roman, and a
fortiori the modern capitalist societies?'  Thus Marx had COME TO REALIZE
that, measured according to the 'wealth of SUBJECTIVE HUMAN SENSUALITY,' as
he had expressed it in the 1844 manuscripts [when a young man] Iroquis
society stood MUCH HIGHER than any of the societies 'poisoned by the
pestilential breath of civilization?' (p 11-12)

I quoted this paragraph to highlight how captured Marx was by the "romantic
imagination" of searching for "subjective human sensuality".  Understanding
this search for vitality within the "dreaming"  vital imagination of the
Romantic "vision" seems to express a motivation or yearning that is also an
expression of modern consciousness.  The Romantic imaginary may be in
dialectical tension with Enlightenment ideals and one cannot be understood
without considering the other.  However, the Romantic imaginary is what is
being expressed in Rosemont's interpretation of Karl Marx's "ethnological
Notebooks"

Rosemont argues this romantic imagination was a re-visiting for Marx of the
themes of 1844 [see page 4 for multiple examples of the power of the
romantic imaginary]

It seems to me that to understand the tension between "modern" and
"pre-modern" we need to de-construct BOTH sides of the assumed dialectic.
As Martin point's out the modern consciousness is as "closed" or as "open"
as the pre-modern.  The yearning for "traditional stability" OR
"emancipation" co-exist in both structures of consciousness.

If this is "true" then asking how the power of Morgan's book had such a
hold on Marx's dreaming and imagination may become a relevant question.
Another  author who may have something to say on this topic is Andrew
Piper.  Andrew  has recently written a book on just this question of how
the book as an object, [in the historical period from 1780 to 1840]
transformed the cultural imaginary.

 Andrew does not merely look at the technological power of the book, as an
artifact, to structure the modern consciousness.  He ALSO focuses on how
the literary genre of romanticism influenced the materiality of the book as
object.  Andrew works in the German Studies department at McGill University
and interweaves "history of the book" with literary studies.
This is a link to this book
http://books.google.ca/books?id=2d7_5vZR-2kC&printsec=frontcover&dq=dreaming+in+books&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fMhBT4O6C6qriQLGhvm6AQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=dreaming%20in%20books&f=false

Andrew's book is discussing  this theme of how our current social imaginary
is profoundly shaped by our "dreaming IN books" and to understand HOW the
media technology of the book transformed the modern consciousness. Andrew's
book articulates a rich sense of how books as objects interconnect with
human practices and habits. [networks or assemblances from which the book
as technology emerged.]

Andrew writes in the introduction,  "A history of the romantic book and the
romantic bibliographic imagination is in this sense also a history of media
adaptation.  A study of how nineteenth-century individuals became wedded to
or POSSESSED by their books can broaden our perspective of the nature of
'new media' cultures and historical experiences of 'media transition' "

Martin, Steve, and David, I'm not sure if this is shifting the conversation
away from Vygotsky, but Franklin Rosemont's article primed my pump in this
direction as he explored the centrality of the romantic "dreaming" that
"possessed" Karl Marx's imagination.  Andrew Piper's book suggests this
being "possessed" by books and the way this technology interweaves into our
practices may be a central process of our modern cultural historical moment.

Larry