Re: [xmca] From Mike Rose on academic-vocational divide

Thanks, Mike Cole and Mike Rose.

I am now going to try to think through and write an explanation of how the "academic-vocational divide" arises from the false dichotomy of mind and hand.

In the meantime, here are some photos of a meeting yesterday of labor educators, some from colleges and universities (City College, UCB), some from unions, some from CBOs, at City College of San Francisco. It took place in the CityBUild (basic carpentry) spaces and was led by Bill Shields, head of Labor Studies there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76869798@N04/sets/

Many of the photos show participants elaborating on how they draw discussions out of a simple popular education exercise in which you illustrate the economy by making piles of pinto beans.

Helena

Helena Worthen
helena.worthen@berkeley.edu
21 San Mateo Road
Berkeley, CA 94707
Visiting Scholar, UCB Center for Labor Research and Education
510-828-2745