Re: [xmca] "higher psychic function"

Mike, I like the term "culturally mediated" as focusing on the
transformation within functions of intentionality.
David Kellogg, I appreciate your distinction of reversibility and "free
will" and different qualities of what I interpret as intentionality.
Philip, bringing in Bateson and his differentiating hierarchies of levels
also seems relevant. [I'm going to read the article]

I also wonder if it is useful to explore the differentiation of
"intentionality" as having different qualities?  I would like to share a
comment from Corey Anton that he ascribed to his teacher Calvin O. Schrag
when describing the SHIFT from "expressive meaning" TO "signitive meaning"
Corey and Calvin take the position that EXPRESSIVE or PERFORMATIVE
intentionality is prior to SIGNITIVE intentionality.  Corey writes,

"Schrag well characterizes this SHIFT: [when he writes] ' Expressive
meaning QUALIFIED by reflection and distanciation slides into SIGNITIVE
meaning: Our introduction of signitive meaning does NOT MARK OUT another
level, EITHER HIGHER OR LOWER, nor does it indicate a domain ALONGSIDE that
of expressive meaning.  It IS rather a further DETAILING of the
CONFIGURATIVE process of expressive meaning as leavened BY reflective
distanciation and critical disengagement, ILLUSTRATING a play of IDEALITIES
within discourse and action, through which a REPETITION OF expressed
meaning is effected' (Schrag, 1986, p.54)"

Corey is exploring a distinction between various configurations of meaning
as intentionality. However, he is emphasizing a prior configuration of
"performative or expressive intentional meaning" that GROUNDS "signitive
intentional meaning"

Corey is making a point that speech is NOT "merely" a tool to be used and
taken up or that discourse is NOT "merely" assertion or
assertoric articulated as the "science OF language" [as if language is
merely a tool to use]

For Corey and Calvin, discourse as a phenomenon has in principle the
primordiality and breadth of an EXISTENTIALE grounded on foundations which
are more  primordial than "assertoric" forms of knowing.

Corey, interpreting Heidegger, points out that the 1st question that is
often asked, "WHAT is language?" already implies a set of prejudices
[pre-judges]  Language is conceived as a KIND of object that has objective
thinghood and is representative of a particular type of theory of language
as "present-at-hand" in moments of communicative breakdown.

The 2nd question often asked is "HOW is language USED?"  Whereas the 1st
questionasks WHAT IS LANGUAGE, this 2nd question assumes that speaking is a
KIND of tool understood to be ready-TO-hand, discovered IN the world, and
employed in our assertoric instrumental speech.

Heidegger, as read by Corey, suggests that both these qualities of
discourse are valid assertions BUT are NOT primorsial or the ground
of intentional speech. For Heidegger both the what and the how of
language are particular qualities within the CENTRAL TEMPORALITY of  speech
as "Being-in the world"   The what and the how of language are DISCLOSED
[expressed] within temporality. Expression, as CO-constitutive, IS
"performative intentionality"  It is through this DEEPER [not higher] and
UNIFYING [not distanciating] performative intentionality that speaking
BECOMES A CONCRETE possibility and manifestation.  Expression for Corey and
Calvin precedes distanciation and spliting into subject and object.

This perspective values signitive meaning as necessary for disclosing world
but puts the relational expression of intentionalityas the
qualitativeground FROM which distanciation SHIFTS awareness to a different
quality of disclosure that is culturally mediated and sustains the
assertoric quality of speaking and knowledge.  Higher forms of
epistemology, from within this perspective, are NOT the ground of
intentional meaning. The dialogical EXPRESSIVE existential is the ground of
both the "what" and the "how" of speaking.

Not sure if this just confuses the conversation of "higher & lower" but it
is how I'm attempting to configure these multiple discourses and understand
how we are always already co-constituted and are NOT merely "in" the world
and THEN coming into relation.  The co-constitutive unification, from this
perspective, is already given, and it is the differentiation and
distanciation that must be understood as a SHIFT in perspective and the
resulting spliting into subject and object. This shift is transformative in
our perspective of the ground but we cannot "transcend" this primordial
ground and ACTUALLY split from our primordial unification, it is a shift in
perspective.

Larry
 The above thoughts came from my engaging with Corey Anton in his article
"Concerning Speech: Heidegger and Performance Intentionality" in the journal
Philosophy & Rhetoric Vol. 32, no.2, (1998) pp.131-144