From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David H Kirshner [dkirsh@lsu.edu]
Sent: 14 February 2012 14:54
To: eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
Subject: RE: [xmca] "higher psychic function"

Arguably, all animals engage in symbolic thought in the sense that
symbolic elements help organize their perceptual fields and subsequent
motor responses to the world.
One way in which "higher mental functions" can be interpreted that seems
to me to be elitist (and dualist) is to presume that for we humans
symbolic elements can directly govern our behavior, not by virtue of
perceptual organization, but through control systems linking symbols (as
signifieds) to motor systems. Rather, what is special about humans is
that symbolic functions are exaggerated, with signifiers having the
possibility of becoming separated from signifieds in a way that enables
new practices of symbolic play to emerge within and between people.
Eventually, these practices mature into language (Langue et Parole), and
eventually into discursive practices in which "I" becomes an element of
the symbolic world. It is within this symbolic sphere that we can
simulate symbolic control of self. We do well to be wary of elitist
interpretations of "higher mental functions" that reify this simulative
practice as the actual basis of our behavior. Like all of our cousins in
the animal world, we swim in a perceptual soup to which our motor
systems are linked through complex correlational (not logical)
relations.

David