Re: [xmca] "higher psychic function"

On 13 February 2012 16:53, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe John Shotter's article I posted yesterday has a perspective that
> may add to [or confuse] the discussion of "higher" as above or "better"
> functions.  John's article is emphasizing the PARTICIPATORY and he
> contrasts this with "abstractive" psychological processes.  I will quote a
> paragraph from page 7 of the article.  See yesterday's attachment if you
> want to read the full article.
>
> "It is at this point that we run into a contradiction. And as a result, we
> can easily find ourselves diverted from our concern with the nature of
> Vygotsky's enabling theory-method.  For while Goethe (and Wittgenstein too)
> see PARTICIPATORY thinking as PRECISELY the kind of thinking we must from
> now on seek - if we are to move beyond the limitations of abstract,
> theoretical, schemes of thought in relating ourselves to the living forms
> around us - Vygotsky seems to disparage such thinking in complexes as
> primitive.  He is not unaware of the fact that we still make use of such
> thinking in our daily lives: 'The adult constantly shifts from CONCEPTUAL
> to concrete, complex thinking.  The transitional, pseuoconceptual form of
> thought is not confined to the child's thinking: we too resort to it in our
> daily lives' (Vygotsky)  Nor is he unaware that: 'The principle function of
> complexes is to ESTABLISH BONDS AND RELATIONS. Complex thinking begins with
> the unification of scattered impressions: by organizingdiscrete elements
> into groups, it creates a BASIS for later generalizations.' (Vygotsky)
> But, rather than seeing a complex as based in a piece of empirical evidence
> of 'clearly of a higher sort' (Goethe) - just because it is organized as a
> UNITY of scattered impressions - he sees it instead as 'a definite
> historical stage in the development of language and thought' (Vygotsky).
> For 'the advanced concept presupposes more than unification.  To form such
> a concept it is also necessary to ABSTRACT, to single out elements, and to
> view the abstracted elements APART FROM the totality of concrete experience
> in which they are embedded..
>
> John Shotter is questioning the valuation of abstracting conception as
> "higher" than participatory knowing.  Yes, abstracting is later developing
> and transformative BUT not transcendant. In each new moment participation
> precedes abstraction.

1) One's manner of mediation mediates perception and action, so I don't see
any participatory experience that precedes an ontology (your reference to
abstraction?) of some form.

"Higher" does hint at negentropy, a form of transcending order.  But it
only hints if you know about entropy.

2) see below.

> John writes,
>
> "to come to an understanding of LIVING forms we must encompass more than
> merely an interconnected set of elements abstracted from concrete
> experience, we must also SEE those elements in terms of a UNIFIED structure
> of possibilities unfolding in time; to SEE the being before one
> historically, is to see it as a being of this rather than that kind, as
> having this rather than that STYLE of life. Thus each particular life form
> we encounter presents us with the same task all over again.  We need a
> sense not only of crucial past events shaping its PRESENT form, and thus a
> sense of events to which it might now be RESPONSIVE, but also of the NEXT
> possible forms it might manifest as a result.  And it is THIS, as Goethe
> realized only too well, that is the STRENGTH OF PARTICIPATORY thinking: for
> once one has identified oneself with, or INTERNALIZED A SYNOPTIC SENSE of,
> all the tiny details of the RESPONSIVE LIFE of a particular living form,
> from birth to death, then one is in the position of being able oneself to
> RESPOND, PRACTICALLY, to it, whatever stage of development it happens to
> be.  This point is crucial, and has the most starting consequences for our
> understanding of Goethe and Vygotsky's enabling theory-method [as a form of
> apercu or apperception]]

2) I'm reading 'participation' here in a different sense to how it's often
used in the sense of participation as mutual adaption.  Participation here
seems to be referring to the participation of newly acquired knowledge,
which implies a negentropic model which is not, I think, in the regular
lexicon of activity theory (as opposed to historical (ontogenetic)
development) .

Huw