Re: [xmca] Further reflections on "temporality" and generativity

Mike

The article you and Etienne's wrote,
 "Minding the GAP: Imagination, Creativity, and Human Cognition"  is a
brilliant synthesis and novel perspective engaging with imagination and
creativity.  I want to amplify your perspective on "imagination andits
centrality n our human nature. Imagination, not as assumed within cognitive
psychology to be a realm of the invisible or non-present BUT imagination as
a fundamental process "integrating sensory data"  which for your purposes
can be thought of as a process of "INTEGRATING the SELF and the WORLD"

You give your definition of the process of imagination as follows:

"Imagination is the process of RESOLVING and connecting the fragmented,
poorly co-ordinated experience of the world so as to BRING ABOUT a stable
image of the world.  Thereby a feeling of oneself in relation to the world
EMERGES."

Imagination is a GAP-FILLING process and the products of this gap-filling
depends on the conditions and constraints in which the process of
gap-filling UNFOLDS. The making of the whole world of culture depends on
these products of imagination formed within fragmented experiences. Your
understanding of imagination assumes this process is present in ALL
experiences of sense data
as a BASIC, PERVASIVE, and distributed faculty of materially embodied
thought and action.  The basic reality is that

"CONSTANT DISCOORDINATION WITH the world is a necessary constitutive aspect
OF the world as individuals that behave IN the world."
In other words you emphasize that a DISCONTINUITY in sensory input about
objects in the world MUST exist and it is within this GAP in continuity
that imagination emerges to fill in the gaps and it is this imaginative
filling in that is the fundamental way self and world emerge within this
relational imagination.

In summary, though we experience the world, at the conscious level, as
continuous, in actual fact it is the pervasive relation of discontinuous
fragmented sense data which generates the imaginal realm that makes
an image of continuity [which in actuality is discontinuous.]

This process of gap-filling IS the THIRD COMPONENT REQUIRED IN  ACTIVE
RECONCILIATION or filling-in of the gaps, by human beings who make sense of
their experience MOMENT by MOMENT within sequential time intervals. This
resolving activity is necessary for an image of the world TO ARISE.

This process of gap-filling IS human nature and imagination is therefore
basic and pervasive and is the required condition that resolves the
fragmentation at the heart of our humanness resulting from being situated
BETWEEN nature and culture.

 [The 1st component of perception of sense data is phylogenetic, the 2nd
component is culturally organized]

Mike, I summarized your position because of the more general anaology that
you are proposing beyond the perceptual level. This process of gap-filling
at the sense data level is a CASE that can be generalized to multiple forms
of action and thought [other TYPES of gap-filling RESOLVING activity]
that are analogous to the processes explored within saccatic activity. In
all cases a gap is generated within which an image may emerge FROM the
gap-filling activity resolving differences in sources of information.

I would like to take a moment to suggest one other type of gap-filling that
Daniel Stern is exploring in his notion of the "present moment" which is
not at the saccaditic time interval, but rather has a time arc of a few
seconds.  This TYPE of resolving activity he suggests works at the
narrative level and involves plot and characters.  The intersubjective
relations within THIS time interval follow your model of gap-filling and
resolving differences in sources of information but at a different time
interval within face to face communication in which RUPTURES in the
communication are basic and pervasive.  These ruptures can be resolved
through the imaginary gap filling which develops within dialogical face to
face intersubjective experience extending over a few seconds.

As you suggest in your article there are multiple heterogenous and
heterochronic "ways" humans participate in these gap-filling resolving
activities but all require imagination as the relational HINGE between self
and world.

Mike,  hope I've "re-presented" your position faithfully [if not, then
dialogically WE will develop more clarity through further resolving
activity]

The POTENTIAL this article is pointing towards I believe has far reaching
implications. It also supports Patchen Markel's thesis about alternative
kinds of stances or "dispositions" which would be engendered through
perspectives of gap-filling imagination.

Larry

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Nektarios Alexi <NEKTARIOS.ALEXI@cdu.edu.au