Re: [xmca] Peter Smagorinsky on concepts

Mmmm, hard to keep track of whatever it was we disagreed about here, Huw, but my reaction to what you say would be that an abstract concept also mirrors reality, but in a different way. The task of the thinker is to "reconstruct the real in thought" and that begins from an abstraction which best encapsulates the whole Gestalt, but lacks concreteness, and must therefore mark the beginning point of a mental reconstruction of the real. Yes?

Andy

Huw Lloyd wrote:
My understanding is that a concrete conception, as referred to here, by Marx, refers to conceptions that authentically mirror the concrete, the material, the phenomena.

All systems comprise of material relations.

I refer to material here because this is directly related to structure.

Concrete is not merely a concentration of abstractions, it is a concentration that mirrors the phenomena of interest in the concrete world. Alternatively if we were to implement our concrete conceptions we would also have a concrete system.

Huw