Re: [xmca] (no subject)

Hi Mike
You wrote,

ontology of the individual that focuses on
the issue of being able to reflect upon
the world BEFORE acting on it; reflection before action. If I understand
correctly the views of people such as Vladimir Zinchenko, a student of
Leontiev's, based upon a variety of evidence from his research on
stabilized images on the retina and the microgenesis of action, both point
toward a kind of "simulation" theory of mind, one which can operate far
more rapidly than the events they are a part of and constituting. It is
implied by the very folk cultural notion that
we all should remember to "stop and think" when things are not flowing
smoothly our way.
I want to enter ths question by clarifying "stop and think".  Do young
infants stop and "think". Yes they "pause" and "hesitate" and "stop" before
moving in a new direction, but are they "thinking"? This hesitation and
pausing [and referencing mom's REACTIONS] BEFORE proceeding seems to be a
capacity of all infants.  However, can we say the infant is "reflecting"?
[turning backwards on activity before responding]  Depnding on how we
answer these questions will help determine what we mean by these concepts.

Also by the concept "simulation" are you referring to a kind of "reading"
of other minds? and "understanding" that they are operating by "having
intentions".

This contrasts with the notion of "attention" and "joint attention" which
is a form of RESPONSIVENESS to the others bodily movement in space [which
does not posit "reading" intentionality of the others actions]

The other question is the more "ontological" question if "shared
experience" precedes "self-experience".  Self-experience as a reflective
turning back on shared experience and with the advent of language this
turning back can be culturally named and elaborated as "self-experience".

I'm not sure if Vico has anything to add to this question of temporality
and intentionality. Gadamer in 1996 [at age 92] was interviewed by Jean
Grondin. Jean asked Gadamer about the relation between logic and rhetoric.
Gadamer suggests Vico [1668-1744] had a different perspective on this
relationship.  Gadamer writes,

"You certainly remember that the Latin expression for science in Vico is
"critica". What this word really means, however, is NOT communication with
something, but DISTINGUISHING something from something else. Thus, the
whole modern concept of OBJECTIVITY begins to take shape in this time
period. Originally, objectivity meant what SHOWS ITSELF to the subject,
that which stands over against it"

The emphasis is on what shows itself,  not on two separate entities
communicating from their already distinct positions.  In the process of
"showing itself" objectivity arises and becomes distinct.

Mike I do agree that the question you are posing about temporality and the
place of reflection and intentionality within temporality IS CENTRAL to our
notions of learning and psychology and concept formation.

Let's invite others to this conversation :-}}

Larry