RE: [xmca] Vladislav Lektorsky's notion of the subject

Andy,

The fault line I am trying to elucidate probably was not well expressed
through my use of "identity" rather than, say, "self."
What Larry's note conjured for me is a sense of dual agendas for
participation in sociocultural theorizing, agendas that may not only
separate us into different theoretical camps, but more properly run
through each of us.

To the extent one takes established concepts and categories like
"writer" or "academic" or "lesbian" or "radical" or the "state of
becoming" (as in "becoming a writer") to constitute the plane of self,
one retains the possibility of engaging in sociocultural theorizing as
an expression of political goals and ideals. For those seeing self as
rooted beyond such signifiers in the material sociohistorical reality of
our time, self becomes much more about the unnamable qualities we share,
than the political categories that separate us. To venture toward this
latter perspective makes sociocultural theory less focused on
politically relevant categories, suggesting a more dominant
philosophical interest.

David

Note 1: The logic of these designations does not preclude arriving at
the logocentric interpretation of self based on purely philosophical
interests.