Re: [xmca] Vladislav Lektorsky's notion of the subject

There is all sorts of stuff about writing origins of the self and it all
strikes me as problematic. But its interesting, that is for sure.

Bruno Snell wikipedia entry is one place to look:
His book, *The Discovery of the Mind: The Greek Origins of European Thought*(
*Die Entdeckung des Geistes*, Hamburg, 1946, trans. T.G. Rosenmeyer, 1953)
argues that the development of Greek literature from
Homer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer>to
Aristophanes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristophanes> and
Plato<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato>shows a gradual discovery of
the inner mental life, a developing
understanding that humans have a unique and individual inner world of
thought.

Note the similarities to Luria's conclusions about the self-understanding
of non-literate Uzbeki peasants.

mike