Re: [xmca] Interpreting Leontiev: functionalism and Anglo Finnish Insufficiences

Hi David.

Not sure you are interpreting Leontiev correctly. For Leontiev, "life"
is the sum-total of activities or a system, a hierarchy of successive
activities. But he is dealing with this in relation to consciousness
in a Marxian sense. For Marx, consciouness is "the actual life of
people". In order to ascertain activity you have to look at the
object, and therefore, you have to look at the object of actions that
realize activity, for they are non-coincidental with the object of
activity. But that is the method proposed by Leontiev in agreement
with Marx's proposed method, not a unit of analysis.

"...activity is not an additive process. Hence actions are not
separate things that are included in activity" (Leontiev, 1977, p.
185)

The kind of "structure" of activity introduced by Leontiev is of
abstractness or abstraction, not of levels or parts.

I do not see any major departure from LSV. Eventually, if you take the
unit of analysis "word meaning", you will have to empirically unwrap
the contradiction between (personal) sense and (social meaning)
meaning, which takes you back at the intersection between meaning and
sense (or activity and action), otherwise you will get into some kind
of reified form of interactionism.

Of course my own interpretation may be wrong.

Best

Arturo