Re: [xmca] moral denial

Seems like this is related to, if not the same as, "forgetting."
Jennifer Cole's book Forget Colonialism: Sacrifice and the Art of
Memory in Madagascar does a nice job of conceptualizing one such
phenomena in terms that I think you would find very friendly to your
way of thinking.

-greg

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
> I am considering doing some work with an historian who has written the
> history of an asbestos plant and its community. Does anyone know of any work
> done, preferably in the CHAT tradition, on the opposite of a moral panic,
> what we could call, I suppose, "moral denial"? There is lot about management
> cover-up, even stuff about panic over asbestos, medical evidence, and
> "living with asbestos," but nothing about how a whole comunity can keep on
> working with asbestos when the lethal nature of the material was already
> public knowledge, until half the town had died of or contracted asbestosis.
> We have lots of ideas, but like to know if anyone else has looked at this.
>
> Any hints?
> Andy
> --

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.