RE: [xmca] Interpreting Leontiev: functionalism and Anglo Finnish Insufficiences

Those interested in crisis situations and how people respond to them - creatively and otherwise - might like to take a look at the very significant work by the American sociologist, Robin Wagner-Pacifici. I have read one of her books, 'Theorising the Standoff: Contingency in Action' (Cambridge 2000). Its very title makes one lick one's lips. It is a fascinating and deeply original study. R W-P's cv, listing her publications, can be found if you Google her name.

If anyone knows her work, I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Colin Barker

From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Andy Blunden [ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: 21 December 2011 00:09
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Interpreting Leontiev: functionalism and Anglo Finnish      Insufficiences

The way you have explained Vasilyuk's ideas makes them very attractive
for me. I would certainly be interested in following up these ideas. All
that stuff around exploring crisis situations sounds very fruitful to me.
On the other hand, even before I came to CHAT I felt that "values" was a
very derivative concept, and in general it seems to be treated as a
second order concept in CHAT. Values are real enough, and I can see that
they are explanatory up to a point. But I wouldn't take them as basic.

But thanks for that Vasilyuk stuff!!

Andy