Re: [xmca] Jones on 'value' of Learning and intensified/enhanced labour under capitalism

On 12 November 2011 03:29, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Julian and Andy,

I haven't read the Jones article, so can't comment how these relate, though
the points below may be useful.

> To return to a week old post, as to the question of why critical
> consciousness of business-folk (technocracy) hasn't been turned back onto
> society, I'd like to add the matters of methods and of application. I see a
> great tendency among the masses in the U.S. to see/think very
> atomistically, reductionistically, and individualistically.

I'd mostly agree, except to say that even 'reductionist thinking' is
swamped, culturally, by 'associationist thinking'.

> When seen from
> this perspective, Marx's concerns seem like idiocy, or at best, banal
> critiquest. If I am an individual sui generis, then the idea that I have
> any connection, much less obligation, to anyone else is a total non
> starter. What matters is for me (and for individuals like me) to find ways
> to flourish in my (our) own right. [and, of course, Marx gets you to this
> point but only if you accept the holism of Self-in-Society].

As well as being technically useful, the systems view is one means of
arriving at this holism from the technical (initially) 'reductionist'
perspective.

> What is needed is Marx's whole method or the method of the whole and holism
> that sees a whole as not merely the sum of the parts but as an emergent
> more than the parts that makes the parts more than they would otherwise be
> (please feel free to substitute "society" for "whole" and "individual" for
> "parts" - this is, after all, one of Marx's greatest interventions, imho).
>
> But there is also a question of application. In management-speak (and
> thought) in the U.S., there is an understanding of something called
> "Systems Theory" (see, e.g, Peter Senge's The Fifth Dimension). This is a
> step in the direction of Marx and notions of structure and system, but the
> applications are to business thinking, they seldom go to society and they
> certainly don't have a dialectical or even a structuralist understanding of
> systems.

The culture of 'systems thinking' is rather loose and not necessarily
rigorous, hence the systems sciences bridge more of this ground.  The
notion of processes subsume dialectics and structuralist understandings.
This is a shift in paradigm that still remains to be accepted beyond the
sciences, I think.

> They are piecemeal systems that are meant to be applied to
> business models and the ways that businesses confron the world. And they
> certainly aren't intended to be applied to understanding human
> consciousness or ethical realms.

This is more an issue of business models and business manners, surely?  The
pragmatics of business models is that no more resources are committed to
solving problems than absolutely necessary.

> At least those are my thoughts on the limits of critical consciousness in
> the U.S. - not sure how well this applies elsewhere.

I don't perceive an incommensurability between 'Learning by expansion' and
cybernetic views.  There is nothing wrong with a cybernetics of 'growing'
systems.  The issue is whether its useful or not for a particular purpose.
If one presents an activity theory that permits the acquirer to acquire the
abstractions without a clear understanding of process and structure one
will still end up with dualistic models (mind-body etc) that will be a
reincarnation of the problems talked about (whereby the things reified will
have been moved).

My reading of Bourdieu is that this perceiving of the wider problem is the
domain of the 'intellectual class' (i.e. a rare minority).  Unless
well-trodden lines are followed, abstractions too tightly held will always
lead to problems, which invite a deeper appreciation and the services of
'intellectuals' to help mitigate.

Huw