From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: 04 November 2011 10:35
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Cc: P.E.Jones@shu.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [xmca] Jones on 'value' of Learning and intensified/enhanced labour under capitalism

I think this is a contradiction of development for capitalism, Julian,
one of those instances where capitalism acts as a brake on the
development of the forces of production. In general the contradiction is
solved by differentiation in the schooling system. In the Olden Days the
sons of the ruling class were Educated at Eton and Harrow, while the
sons and daughters of the workign class were beaten into shape in
Bethnal Green Primary School. As I recall, even the post-WW2 Labour
government took care to maintain a differentiated system of public
schooling. Nowadays, maintaining that differentiation becomes more and
more contested and difficult, with the kind of moving goal posts that
Bourdiueu describes so well.

But one thing that capitalism does not want in its education system is
*critique*, so the training of artists, software dewsignes and managers
is a delicate matter, the arena for much struggle.

Andy