Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:56 AM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have worked with Scratch from time to time in relatively low tech,
> marginally connected,
> communities where knowledgeable users of Scratch are hard to find, and kids
> become
> easily discouraged. The philosophy of low entry high ceiling seems just
> fine, but how high
> you have to climb to get to the threshold, if you are tiny and weak, can be
> mis-estimated
> be designers.

hi mike,
I tend to agree that Scratch won't work in the longer term all that well
unless there is an expert to guide the process. That would be true of all
education, though? Can we agree on that?

Mitch Resnick's modification of Seymour Papert's slogan (Seymour: low entry,
high ceiling; Mitch: low floor, wide walls) is an attempt to get more
learners on board in the all important introductory phase. You can make the
cat run across the room in less than 3 minutes or use other engaging
introductory themes.