Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

That reminds me of when as a University staff person I started investigating the kind of infrasrtucture teachers needed for "Collaborative Learning" back in 1999, and all the administrators immediately jumped to the idea of putting the students in different rooms and connecting them up with computers.

Andy

Linda Polin wrote:
why does the discussion of constructivism jump us to programming (Papert, aside for the moment).

there are some terrific possibilities in significantly more playful spaces, e.g., Minecraft and Arduinos:

Minecraft goes from a sort of virtual Lego buiding experience http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWJqCWetH-c&feature=relmfu

... to logic gates and advanced construction of working machines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB684ym3QY4

Arduinos involves very simple programming as well, but it is a more tangible interface, literally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xCY2K9kQz4

Lindax

ps
anyone going to Minecon in Vegas?