Re: [xmca] Cultural memory

Andy
I'll jump in with my 2 thalers worth:

Let's begin with,

- Concepts are "real" and have material existence [in the sense that
concepts are artefacts including genres and designed tools] Concepts as the
general category.
-Add in "agency" as "that" which exerts an influence [constitutes??]  us
through our expressions.

-Our expressions are actualized within conceptual "spaces" or
"moments"  [artefacts, genres, texts, traditions.]

-Expressions are actions [interactions??] operationalized within activity
processes of shared coordinated projects.

Now for a metaphor of the body with distinct perceptual systems [sight
hearing touch etc]. From a Gestalt perspective We do not have 5 distinct
inputs that then interweave and consolidate into "consciousness"  The
Gestalt is PRIMARY and the 5 senses all confirm the gestalt. If only one
sense registers the phenomena it is experienced as delusional.  GESTALT IS
PRIMARY

 Is any "body" listening?

Andy in the same way that the person as body "perceives" not the eye or the
ear or the skin, concepts are  gestalten. Concepts [as material] are
metaphorical "bodies" of perceiving. These concepts are expressed within
artefacts [designed structures and texts] and the concept "imbues" [not sure
of that word] the activity, actions, and operations.

Mediation operates within conceptual gestalts.

Andy I'm probably still not grasping where you are  pointing and have
garbled this but I am attempting to grasp "concepts" [through your mediation
:-}

Now the struggle I have within this conceptual gestalt is the place of
"chiasmic intertwining" which is a phenomena that "should" be included in
"this" conceptual universe. [in my opinion]

Chiasmic refers to binocular vision where left eye and right eye do not see
two distinct images which are then interconnected or orchestrated or
coordinated.  The two sources express a single gestalt perception "in depth"
that is new and novel and trans*formative. Not a dialectic, not a tension,
but a novel gestalt expression

Andy, this is NOT the "master-bondsman" form of intersubjectivity which
posits conflict, dialectic, and overcoming and in the overcoming
"subjectivity develops"  That dialectical tension is a phenomena that may
also be crucial, but I'm pointing to another  form of intersubjectivity
which in continental philosophy is referred to as "witnessing". This is the
language of "calling and response" [or turning away from the calling]

Witnessing as a particular kind of action [of "intersubjectivity"] that
in*forms a particular kind of "subjectivity"  Witnessing as a term is
pointing to the "receptive" aspect of "hearing" the others calll.  It does
not use the language of "seeing" the others signal or gesture [as
understanding, interpretation, reflective detachment from the phenomena]
This is a particular type of action that is often referred to archetypically
as the "mother-infant" constellation. To me this archetype is a metaphor of
the fundamental re-cognition of human vulnerability and suffering and our
response to this need as motivated to move towards another [or ward off the
other if too vulnerable]
Witnessing as chiasmic intertwining [as explored in Shotter's paper] is an
aspect of our humaness that must also be mediated within conceptual gestalts

This does not question other fundamental needs such as "orientation" and
"exploration" but I wonder if  "vulnerability and suffering" and "chiasmic
intertwining" are also fundamental and need a home in our conceptual
socio-cultural formations.

I have Haydi in mind as I write this and want to confirm the traditions of
looking at domination and nondomination, being colonized BY THE OTHER
[master bondsman], becoming subjected to the other, material labour
practices and class formations which are as "real" and "actual" as chiasmic
intertwining and must be responded to with struggles for social justice.
However I do wonder if we struggle and "see" [observe] the injustices
without  our being "heard" in our "sayings" [chiasmic intertwining] then a
vital aspect of trans*formation [which will produce multiple forms of
"subjectivities" as expressions of particular conceptual socio-historical
moments] will loose their vitality.

I'm arguing for "witnessing" as a particular kind of knowlegeability [skill]
as an expressive "calling and response" within a  conceptual
socio-historical moment that is forming [being with or becoming]

An AS IF narrative

Larry