Re: [xmca] Cultural memory

Greg, thank you forwarding my previous post, and obviously no offence was taken about being "pegged."

The difficulty is that my protagonist is very much aware that interactions are governed by norms. But they suffer from the illusion that it is sufficient for a parent to tell their child about the rule, and intervene in their behaviour as required, and likewise aficienados to instruct neophytes in any community of practice for norms to be established and maintained. This may seem a plausible claim, and one which is hard to fault. But it is essential to theorise social life as so many dyads, relegating mediation to a secondary role, and this in my mind leads to libertarian madness. Mike Cole says that he teaches this point by suddenly, in the middle of his lecture, breaking into Russian. Deborah made a similar point by mentioning how dysfunctional life becomes when the technology one is used to is changed to a different one. It may be that *changing* the form of mediation (cf your cow and vache) is the strongest line of argument.

About the thought of my dollar bill and the dollar bill in my pocket. This comes from Kant actually, and it is posed in terms of 100 thalers (you can google it), and has been the subject of argument ever since, with Hegel weighing in and Slavoj Zizek as well. And someone (was it Engels?) making the point: what would happen if Kant showed the 100 thalers to someone from a different country where thalers were not money? The question is two-fold: (1) about the difference between the thought of something and its actual existence, even for you privately, and (2) the difference between a personal belief and an ideal which is shared by an entire community. Quite practically, if I go out the door to go into the city thinking I have a 2-dollar coin in my pocket to pay the tram fare, it matters very much to me if, when I get on the tram and put my hand in my pocket I find that I am mistaken. I would not be impressed and nor would the ticket inspector, and finally, if I forgot that I was actually in Paris, nor would M. Inspector des billets, even if I did find a 2-dollar coin in my pocket.

Andy

Greg Thompson wrote:
Didn't mean to cast such aspersions Andy. Maybe I should clarify what I was referring to when I pegged you (likely erroneously) with the material/language split label. You had, a long time ago, posted a question about the difference between the dollar bill in your pocket and the words "dollar bill" (and please insert appropriate denomination here). In that post, you seemed to be suggesting that there was a fundamental distinction there. I didn't have time, at that moment to respond (and these conversations do move fast!), but the question stuck in my head for some time b.c. it had such an obvious ring to it but also seemed to be missing the way in which those two things are, in fact, really quite the same thing (both attain "value" through the social and both have similar materiality). I'm happy to say more on this point but frankly I'm still a bit confused as to what ground you were staking out there and here. Do you recall that prior post? I'm sure I could dig it up in my notes but if you remember it, then it might be better to get some clarification of what you were after rather than my notes on what I thought you were after. As for your protagonist, it seems like they have that wonderful old-fashioned common sense view of language as a kind of delivery system where communication is akin to tossing a football from one person to another. Your protagonist, though, is completely unaware of how the local rules (Aussie rules?) affect how the ball can (and will!) be tossed. To carry the metaphor through, your protagonist sees the "medium" merely as the air through which the ball is flying. Maybe if you're at a really high altitude, the ball may travel a little differently, but in most cases, it's pretty negligible, says the protagonist. The airy metaphor with "phonemes" here is apt. With language, your protagonist would likely say "so what if you call a cow a 'cow' or a 'vache' - it's still the same thing." I say, in many cases (particularly when you look at languages that are more divergent), it isn't the same thing at all. So the question that I keep coming back to is: how do you get them to see the role of the rules, particularly when the rules are so transparent to so many people (as with language, so too with culture). It is hard to argue that these rules matter if they appear perfectly transparent (and though it may be cliche, the crystalline lens of the eye is a wonderful metaphor - transparent but essential for sight - so, what would be the language/culture equivalent of having your protagonist's "lenses" removed?). Love to hear more detail of your prior post about dollar bills, as well as how it is coming with your protagonist.
-greg