[xmca] FW: (UNESCO Kabul) Looking for Consultants/Experts in Literacy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Yukiko Matsuyoshi <y.matsuyoshi@unesco.org<mailto:y.matsuyoshi@unesco.org>>
Date: Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Subject: (UNESCO Kabul) Looking for Consultants/Experts in Literacy
To: lb2035@columbia.edu<mailto:lb2035@columbia.edu>
Greetings from Afghanistan!
I am Yukiko Matsuyoshi, who has completed EdM in Anthropology and Education in 2002 and went to work in Afghanistan.  I have recently resigned from my previous job as a Japanese diplomat and recently joined UNESCO to work in Afghanistan again.

I am writing to you to seek your assistance in finding potential candidate for two vacancy posts for technical consultancy positions. .  The rate is approximately $10,000 a month including housing allowance, plus return air ticket.  I have attached the TOR for both positions – one position is for Curriculum Revision on National Literacy and we are seeking someone who could come on and off to Afghanistan for 1 year. For the curriculum revision, we are also working within a traditional approach to literacy here in Afghanistan. Through workshops and meetings we have slowly introduced alternative approaches to literacy programming and would hope the consultant would  be able to continue the work started in this area. It is a challenging and exciting opportunity as it will involve literacy programming at a national level.

Another position is for a new program on providing literacy training for Afghan police. For police literacy we are working within the constraints of existing literacy programming offered to police in Afghanistan. A programme that is quite traditional in its approach and is facing some challenges in meeting the literacy needs of police.  A preliminary study done by NATO has found that there is a sharp decrease in the literacy taught as early as one month after completing the programme. This project will focus on helping to maintain those literacy skills acquired, as it seems that learners are not using the skills taught.

We are looking for the consultant to start as soon as possible.  I would appreciate it if you could provide the information to people you know or if you could provide me contact information of people, I can contact those from here.

Very much looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Yukiko

Yukiko Matsuyoshi (Ms.)
Program Manager
Literacy Unit, Education Section

Mobile:  +93(0) 774076537<tel:%2B93%280%29%20774076537>
E-mail: y.matsuyoshi@unesco.org<mailto:y.matsuyoshi@unesco.org>

UNESCO Kabul Office,
House No.KB647, Behind Esmat Muslim House, PD 10, Shar-e-Naw
Kabul, Afghanistan.
www.unesco.org/afghanistan<http://www.unesco.org/afghanistan>