From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: October-01-11 6:41 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] varying definitions of perezhivanie

Isn't it the case, Michael, that a peerezhivanie has to be followed by a
catharsis in order to foster a development? The war veteran who refuses
to confront the traumatic experience they had in the war, kind of fails
to make the development which the lived experience they shared gives
them the possibility for.

Michael Levykh wrote:
> Mike,
>
> perezhivaniye, in my interpretation of Vygotsky, is the ability, when
being
> in the moments of crisis, to step away from the immediate experience: "In
> order to explain and understand experience, it is necessary to go beyond
its
> limits; it is necessary to forget about it for a minute and move away from
> it" (Vygotsky, 1999, p. 243). Feeling good is the ideal result for an
> individual who is able to step away from his immediate struggle with
social
> demands, reflect on his/her past experience, and contemplate (extrapolate)
> his/her future experiences.
>

> Michael
>
> _______________________________________
>

> Dr. Michael G. Levykh, Ph.D.
>
> Therapist & Educational Psychologist
>
> www.affectivetherapy.com

<http://email.about.me/wf/click?c=e86tqVWFYsEogZdu8cwmbnGfDLgcCO7Yb6%2Fms%2F

w5hSbigpUHIH%2B3q%2FJ6rl44%2F7kv&rp=kkuZYPlTP6K8%2BlaQBcUVvhUiY0sq8vL6S2PHrN
> %2B%2FLwtoGfL%2FI%2FIYjajJunJ9DkZu&u=XTSF8JjpQReWbaUoYNTI-A%2Fh0>
> http://about.me/michaelglevykh
>

> "How we nurture our social emotions is what makes us who we are."
>
> ~ M. G. Levykh
>
>   _____

We