RE: [xmca] Al Andalus as a model for *{ }*

Dear Larry,
It was a very to and fro leading up to 'nomadism' I don't recall the traces as clearly as I helpfully might need to. I was in the background noticing Levinas - but he was and probably still is-  out of my usefully reading his 'otherwise than being. Ditto for J Butler's 'Subjects of Desire - because of trying to understand Davydov's want and 'will' - yet desire is different.
There were different traces and  here is a reference I found useful in an extract of my brief notes on why I was interested:

In another view keeping the nomadic perspective of an
always open journey has empowering qualities.  A number of
directions being taken suggest that this might be so, in CHAT and
outside it. Engestrom’s accretion of Cussin’s theory of cognitive trails, Colin Crouch’s metaphor of the pilgrim’s route upseating theory of path dependency,
complexity theory and ‘swarming’ behaviours. Can this empowerment be more than
an individual person moving in a territory?

Nomadism can be translated to an intellectual space. (
e.g  Tamboukou’s analysis of the
female self in art [1])

“I will argue, therefore, that nomadism enables the
reading of tensions, contradictions and paradoxes in textual and visual
practices of self representation. It opens up an analytical plane where spatial
practices can make connections with a polyvalent set of what Foucault (1988)
has identified as technologies of the
self, everyday practices
historically and culturally constituted that subjects strategically deploy in
becoming what they are.” (Tamboukou, 2010)

The responsibility
of considering what uncertainty lies ahead for subjects with these skills must
be one the educator  explores in
their practice. What does the possibility look like, that can afford a 'good life' to
a collective deploying nomadic thinking skills, is it to open a disposition to
open enclosures ( of copyrights, of technologies, of knowledge).  A necessary motivation , how do
educators contribute to this form ahead of encountering ‘entrapments’? have we looked at teaching practice to ask this yet?

[1] The nomadism that Tamboukou draws upon comes from the
same work as the rhizome concept Engestrom draws upon - Deleuze and Guattari (1988).

 I haven't got access to my hard drive for the Tamboukou paper but here is a link to other work:http://pi.library.yorku.ca/ojs/index.php/soi/article/view/8009/7165

 The other topic was immanence and this was the reading with it's introduction: I now read and wonder how 'transcendence' in this work contrasts with 'ideal' , this seems to relate to individual internal uncertainty, without considering mediation and social relations. there isn't 'alterity'   Immanence:http://www.scribd.com/doc/36787280/6790328-Deleuze-Pure-Immanence-Essays-on-a-Life-Eng-Tr
 But I'm not really able to situate it either.Christine.