Re: [xmca] Concepts as sedimentation

I recognise, Tony, that others use the term "sedimentation" differently, but I choose to use the word with this very specific meaning. But the meaning is not a lot different from the langue/parole distinction. If la langue is not embodied in the actual daily use of words then I presume it is embodied in text books and other material artefacts reflecting past usage. I am not language-centric, so I tend to base the distinction on activity and the artefacts it leaves behind to afford future activity - that includes language-use but it not limited to that.

Andy