Re: [xmca] Concepts as sedimentation

I am drowning in your metaphors, Christine. I don't know Machado or Serrat, but perhaps it is worth pursuing the idea of sedimentation? What sedimentation means to me is this: there is a metaphorical image of the flow of social life, and material is picked up and carried along with the eddies and currents of this movement. But as it flows by, material drops out and forms a sediment, no longer carried along with the flow, but solid matter (specifically matter rather than activity), which (1) constrains the flow by forming banks, etc., and (2) enables the flow by the river beds, etc. So as I see this metaphor, sediment is all the urban and rural landscape, all the texts, buildings, species of domestic animals, art works, weaponry, factories and machines, etc., as well as our body-forms, that have been created in the past and remain with us today as essential elements of what we do and how we do it, the material conditions of our existence. And sediment is an accretion, yes,

Andy

christine schweighart wrote:
Dear Andy,
It was itself a sedimenting of Machado later into popular recognition through the gestures of Serrat in troubled political times. But yes, this moment is past and 'dead' , that's the difficulty. Formation is though maybe more fluid than in the structural formation of 'path' , so the metaphor of water that comes in the rippling at the end - another sedimentation , which is a clue of reframing 'sediment' to continual movement and eddy in liquid which reappears but never as a complete process, not an accretion?
Christine.