[xmca] Collective Experience vs. Individual Experience?

Tony, Andy, and mike,
What you are describing sounds very similar to Volosinov's (not Bakhtin's?!) discussion of behavioral ideology (MaPoL, p. 91). Using Volosinov (and Durkheim) I would like to point out a sense of "experience" that I think is missing in your description - namely the sense in which an individual's experience is "of a sociological character," as Volosinov writes. Let me just add that I think Volosinov is one of the key figures to turn to in addressing this question of individual vs. collective experience (see esp. V's "I-experience" vs. the "we-experience" on p. 87). Maybe even more so than Schutz.

I'd also like to add Durkheim (a CHAT theorist?) to the mix. What D describes as "collective effervescence" (the grateful dead concernt) is perhaps the strongest way of forming a "we." To understand this, I think that we need to attend to the semiotics of these moments. Durkheim does well to note the importance of the image of the totem which stands simultaneously as reservoir of the high feelings of excitement that the individual experienced with the group AND at the same time as the thing that represents the group. There is a semiotic efficiency here that is hard to match in other types of group-making (although later criticisms, e.g. Levine, have pointed to the fact that "collective effervescence" is not as universal as Durkheim proposed - there are those who are present in the ritual but who remain "outside" of the experience of collective effervescence).

In those other type of group-making, (e.g., California's once college-bound students who constitute a group by virtue? of their collective experience of rejection), the semiotics of the situation (V.'s "sociological character) play an even greater role. This is because the semiotics of the situation can function to organize the nature of that experience. The California student who is rejected from the UC school system will, in some sense, feel something similar to other students who experience "the same" situation (note the scare quotes!!!), but this really depends on how they see that situation. Were they rejected simply because they were not good enough for the school? Were they rejected because the school was not good enough for them (i.e., admissions office couldn't see their true potential?)? Or was their failure not a failure at all but instead the result of unfair preferential treatment of less qualified minorities? Or was their rejection the result of a failure of the government (the sovereign?, the people?) to educate the populace? (after writing this, I realized striking parallels to V's middle para on p. 87 of MaPoL).

These questions all depend on how the experience is discursively framed (bringing Foucault together with Goffman) - i.e. the ways in which experience is organized so as to become meaningfully recognizable to individual persons. These meaningfully recognizable experiences (aka "constructions" of experience) not only organize one's experience but they also authorize one to respond in particular ways to one's experience. These "authorizations" are moral and ethical in nature and are also have origins in the group. Should the rejected California student become depressed about their failure? Should they file suit against the school for discrimination - or otherwise protest the preferential treatment of minorities? Should they participate in a mass collective activity where they try to "raise awareness"? Should they ignore it and carry on with their life, certain that other institutions will recognize their potential?

This is not to suggest some kind of determination by these discursive framings. The complexity here is overwhelming and there is a lot of "play" in this act of meaning making. All of these (and more) discourses are circulating "out there" and will "touch" people in different ways - making one particular discursive framing more apt for the moment (and another for the next). By "touch" I mean both that they will "make contact with" and "have emotional resonance with." Depending upon what circles you run in, different discourses will or will not make contact you. But there is also the sense in which we are emotionally moved by a discourse once it makes contact with us. Here, I think we return to Durkheim and totems - what are the signs and symbols that are charged up with positive emotion such that one feels a particular discourse makes "sense" and is right, true, and beautiful? The point here is that these emotional resonances are important in sense making, and that activity alone does not determine what participants will "experience".

And this all just points to the importance of being cautious when speaking of "individual" or "collective" experience.

I'd love to hear more of a discussion of Volosinov. Do you feel like what you are saying is fundamentally different from V.?

-greg