Re: Distinguishing between information as info'mation v in*formation Re: [xmca] The distinction between "information" and "knowledge" A response to Brandom

Hi Mike and Tony

Mike you mention it may be enough to offer drive by references to Ingold,
Merleau-Ponty, Bateson, Gibson,as a way to point others to further readings.
Mike, my reflections on this comment is that as a first step we must have
our attention drawn to the possibility of alternative ways of orienting to
our subject matter BEFORE we go deeper into the topic.  For myself, as I
post these reflections from outside the main focus of CHAT I wonder if I am
introducing too broad a perspective.  When you or Tony respond, as in this
post, it gives me "confirmation" to continue thinking out loud.
As a particular example, my reflections this summer on John Shotter's
notions of "con-scientia" within speech acts; Taylor's exploration of "the
disclosive realm" as a way of life, etc as also exploring themes of
"engagement", "movement", "in*formation of attention" etc.  I have
questioned if these topics are too broad to include in conversations that
are exploring themes of "understanding" as "stepping back from",
"differentiating from", science as cutting or scissors or making
distinctions, etc.  This tension seems to be a theme that runs through our
history as stories of the  enlightenment, romanticism, "ideality &
materiality", etc.
Mike, going back to Ingold referencing Bateson, Merleau-Ponty, and Gibson.
I am drawn to pay attention precisely because Ingold has engaged with these
authors and been profoundly "moved" by their insights. It leads me to want
to delve deeper into Ingold's works, precisely because I know he has been
moved by their perspectives that are challenging the place of reasoning
ALONE.  As Ingold mentioned he is forever thankful to participate in
reasoning as this "method" of reflecting as a valuable indispensible tool
BUT what all the authors I've mentioned are exploring is a deeper FELT
foundation on which the ediface of reasoning, reflection, and representation
has been constructed.  Reasoning as premises, principles, systems, are
in*formed within a FELT environment [not a pre-existing nature in Ingold's
terms].  This FELT environment of e-motion is a particular type of
relational "movement" TOWARDS engagement, not to a stepping back from and
reflecting ON that world through "observation" and "measuring".  This
counting or measuring and the powerful tools we have developed in order to
"observe" and "count" [as particular forms of "accounting"] are very
powerful DESIGN tools that have constructed within particular kinds of
worlds we now inhabit.  However, I wonder if we conflate our tools of
measurement and ways of making "cuts" by the methods of scientific reasoning
[as a particular way of life] with the more foundational "disclosive" realm
of orienting and in*forming through developing the skills of paying
attention as ENGAGEMENT WITH, not OBSERVING OF.  Engagement with IS
FELT movement [towards or away] but it is ALWAYS dialogical, and
intersubjective and "being with"

Mike, you posted John Shotter's article exploring "con-scientia" and Ingold
has two articles in the "papers for Discussion".
I still wonder if the topic I'm discussing is too broad for CHAT or if this
line of inquiry can be one stream within the intertwining dialogical
conversation  of CHAT.

Andy, always as I reflect on this topic I ask myself if this is privleging
the "merely" interactional search for "recognition" and "confirmation"
[Buber's term] and loosing sight of the third level but the topic  does draw
me to orient in this direction.

Larry