From: mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
To: Tony Whitson <twhitson@udel.edu>
Cc: "eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Friday, 9 September 2011, 16:46:40
Subject: Re: [xmca] Linguistic Anthropology and hostility to the study of language?

Thanks very much, tony. I'll give a listen.

Odd coincidence- I am preparing materials for a course on mediational

theories of mind and was reflecting on differing nature of experience

mediated in different ways (e.g., oral language, written language, film,

etc...... All such questions imply that the medium and the experience are

not equivalent or else how could listening to the ode to joy evoke such

different experiences than reading Schiller?? (I ask myself, naively).

Dewey writes of "art and experience." We seem to be back around to a version

of the question of "separation of individual and context" which has been

discussed here from time to time.

mike

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Tony Whitson <twhitson@udel.edu> wrote:

> I've posted an audio-only version, with a much smaller file size, at

> http://wp.me/P1V0H-1x5

> The video cuts between the speaker at the microphone and Powerpoint slides

> with some of the quotations, all of which are read completely in the audio.

> My recording begins " ... this separateness is ..." , refering to a

> presumed separateness between language and experience, an idea that she is

> criticizing.

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, mike cole wrote:

>  Looks to be marvelous from the quotes, Christine. thanks.

>> The url is missing the 2011.mv4 part at the end and when you add it, the

>> download time for me is estimated at almost 3 hours. gulp!!

>> mike

죱ႇ鐀ၧ蟥൏⍐ၾൗ칐ന㑴ဋ㦸ၾ蓡ൟ