From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Andy Blunden [ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:51 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Representationalism, as a way of knowing, has a history

Arthur,

I have had a chance to read the paper you did with Jan Derry, but
unfortunately Robert Brandom is still a closed book to me. I understood
from friends that he was some kind of Hegelian, but I can't see this in
your quotations. I may get the wrong end of the stick in my comments due
to not knowing Brandom. Also, my positive response to the idea of
Vygotsky as an "inferentialist" as opposed to a "representationalist"
was probably premature, as in your paper "inference" is merged with
"statistical inference." So I may be confused. Please excuse me if I get
things mixed up.

Firstly, I think I agree with the recommendations you are making to
teachers of statistics. This is because a concept can only be grasped
(and Vygotsky agrees) as a situation, or as a problem and its solution.
I gather you propose confronting students with problems, and then
offering them some statistical tools to use to solve the problem. This
approach is of course straight out of the Vygotsky handbook. It also
reflects a certain concept of concept ... but this is not what I gather
an "inferentialist" concept of concept is according to Brandom (judging
from your quotes only), and I can anticipate a line of argument basing
itself on statistical inference which manages to reconcile empiricism to
the obvious fact that human beings can reason. (It is an idea which is
popular among the neuroscientists as well, being a variation on the idea
of conditioned reflex.) If this is what Brandom argues, then my interest
in him declines apace. I think Hegel and Vygotsky have a far superior
approach. :)

You quote Brandom as follows: "The concept _concept_ is not intelligible
apart from the possibility of such application in judging. ...To grasp
or understand (...) a concept is to have practical mastery over the
inferences it is involved in  - to know, in the practical sense of being
able to distinguish, what follows from the applicability of a concept,
and what follows from it."

I really don't see the Big Leap Forward from "representationalism" here.
How is this reflected in the concept of "mean"? Presumably when a
student can recognise when a number such as 6 is the mean of 3, 6 and 9?
and reason with it, eg the mean of x + y = the mean of x plus the mean
of y. This is not how I think you are suggesting teachers teach statistics.

The quote from Vygotsky: "we must seek the psychological equivalent of
the conceptnot in general representations  ... [but] in a system of
judgments in which the concept is disclosed." NB "*disclosed*", i.e., we
can observe that a concept has been grasped when correct judgments are
made based on the concept. But I think it is wrong to deduce from this
that judgment is prior to concept in analysis, in structure or in
learning. You can't make a judgment on a concept unless you know the
concept. Agreed, learning the concept, in practice, transforms error
into understanding. But this really proves nothing. Judgments get better
as you get a better and better grasp of the concept. But what is the
concept? The only sense I cana make of this is some kind of dressage.

So I am a little bemused.
Andy

>>> ______________________________**____________
>>> _____