Re: [xmca] Re: How are "goals" related to "committments"?

Mike, I will bring it to the concrete with my personal example from my
work.  I believe the "default" manner in which we confront predicaments [in
our particular cultural/historical moment is to look for "reasons"
[Brandom's assertoric commitment]  Now this approach, [orientation] to
resolving predicaments is so "taken for granted" or "common sense"
throughout school institutional organizations that other possible ways to
orient to predicaments withIN our speech acts are underdeveloped [within our
particular "way of life"]  Taylor's comment that we take a METHOD [such as
the scientific method of analysis from parts to wholes] OR the METHOD [of
giving and asking for reasons] as PARTICULAR cultural/historical METHODS are
"ontologized" as expressins of our "being" and other ways of orienting or
dwelling in the world get REDUCED to this particular method.
The question is how do we developmentally EMERGE from this reductive method
and learn to DIFFERENTIATE this dominant method [giving and asking for
reasons] as NOT foundational or ground but rather particular forms of speech
acts [Wittgenstein's language games, Bahktin's voice genres, Taylor's forms
of life]  If this way "of looking" [perspective] has any merit then we could
look at the alternative ways of participating in expressing speech acts.  It
is here that I find Taylor's distinction of assertoric/disclosive TYPES of
speech acts a helpful perspective to guide how I operate inthe world [as
increasing flexiblity]  I can "observe" or NOTICE when others are
participating in the language game of giving and asking for reasons [as one
alternative way in helping us decide how to proceed]  Alternatively, I can
influence shifting to a more "disclosive" form of speech acts. It is THIS
move to exploring the disclosive aspect of speech acts that I believe John
Shotter's analysis of "joint activity" "dialogicality" "chiasmic
intertwining", and "intra-activity" as forms of CON-scientia [knowing with]
can deepen our awareness [noticing] of this PARTICULAR form of cognitive
expression.

Now the next move to exploring the context [WEAVING] of these various
aspects of speech acts it to  also "analyze" their interweavings..  I am
trying to bring awareness or recognition that the "assertoric" way of
proceeding to "dwell in the world" as a particular "way of life" is
historically situated within our particular horizon of understanding and
FEELS AS IF this way of proceeding is "ontological" and not merely one
alternative way of approaching predicaments.

Larry