[xmca] How are "goals" related to "committments"?

Hi Mike and others

Mike, reflecting on your comment that the relevant order of context [as
weaving] for analysis depends crucially on the particular tools through
which one interacts with the world AND this tool use depends crucially on
the GOALS and other constraints on action withIN the permeable changing
events of life.  Mike, if one substitutes the word "committments" for the
term "goals" does this change the meaning you are pointing towards?
The reason I'm asking this question is because of where Charles Taylor
locates "committment" within his particular notion of "context" as "ways of
life".  As I read Taylor, he is pointing to ETHICS [how we "should" proceed]
as centrally ABOUT committments.  These committments emerge wiithin
HISTORICALLY constituted ways of life and it is these "shared" committments
[which can be implicit, not explicit] as "horizons of understanding" which
give meaning to practices, events, conduct, etc.  I didn't add the term
"situation" to that list because as I'm reading your article "situation" can
be read to include "committments" and "ways of life" withIN "situations".

These committments [within horizons of understanding] can be read as
contexts that "surround" in the way Taylor is suggesting Brandom does not go
far enough in locating the  PARTICULAR ethical committment of "giving and
asking for reasons" as a particular historically embedded language game
which structures our practices and events [and our institutions]
However, is it also possible to locate historically constituted ETHICAL
"committments" as  weaving [context] that explores the emergence of
committments within the permeable changing events of life.  The emergence of
"committments" in the day to day intersubjective dialogical, INTRA-weavings
[not INTER-weavings which suggest the committments PRE-exist].

I don't presume to know how context/surrounds" and context/weaves are
related but the place of "goals"/"committments" seems to relevant aspects of
the "situation"/"way of life".

Larry