Re: [xmca] Cultural Practices/Activities/etc

Mike
This was a very helpful article to tease apart the context that surrounds
from the context that weaves.
When I attempted to articulate Charles Taylor's perspective that "forms of
life" as contexts are formed withIN ETHICAL stances which "surround" our
practices [such as giving and asking for reasons] should we be qualifying
the term "context" to state "context which surrounds" in order to clarify
which use of "context we are operating from.  My reading of Taylor is that
how we "orient" in our forms of life are always ETHICAL COMMITMENTS. And it
is only from within these particular ethical commitments that our activities
within events can be JUSTIFIED.
Making a commitment to operating from a perspective of giving and asking for
reasons [which is all pervasive within public school settings] PRODUCE
certain types of "activities" or "situations" which structure how we proceed
in our day to day conduct [in our search for the "real" reason or "true"
reason].  An interesting exercise is to ask how we can proceed if we choose
to not participate in giving and asking for reasons. It transforms the
situation and how we act within the situation and requires more "disclosive"
speech acts or utterances.

Larry