RE: [xmca] Re: Bladeless Knives Without Handles (David Kellogg)

Dear Professor Kellogg,

Thank you for such detailed and thoughtful reply too. As far as I can I’ll try to be in the track of you :-).
Following our tradition I’ll start from Russian-ness again. Surely I hold in high respect the right of each of us to have any personal associations. One surely can apply to his/her personal association between CYRILLIC letters and some vague personal taste of his/her view of Russian national character or more concretely the special “Russian” style of theoretic arguing :-). I guess that you hint at something like this. Not at “bast shoes” (лапти) or “Russian dolls” (матрёшки).
I am sorry to say I’m entirely Russian in this sense, though I am not sure that I have even one drop of Russian blood in my veins. The same “Russian” style of thinking or “Russian” mentality was typical for Ilyenkov and substantially for Vygotsky. All of them aimed at searching for truth and believed that the truth can be found; at least that we can approach it closer and closer. Surely the style per se can’t guarantee the success in scientific research, in finding the desired truth. But anyhow this disposition is evidently much more appropriate for reaching it than the disposition of politically correct relativism.
Here we meet one strange fact. If we will try to find more examples of such “Russian-ness” in modern Russia we will meet with total failure. It has practically completely disappeared. The dominating style in psychological and even wider in socio-humanitarian research now is composed exchange of balanced arguments which don’t pretend to open any truth but are aimed only at winning the recognition of narrow circle of colleagues.
>From the other sight we will find a lot of examples of such “Russian-ness” in the handicraft shop of one XVII century Amsterdam’s lens polisher, or in the professorial studies of Fichte and Hegel in XIX century Berlin’s university and finally in London’s flat of political emigrant whose name was Karl Marx. Moreover we will find the same “Russian-ness” on the streets of ancient Ephesus, Clazomenae <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clazomenae>  and Athens and later in many times and places.
Concerning “reflection” - this understanding of “Russian-ness” reflects indeed, but it reflects not an accidentality of personal associations between CYRILLIC signs and something vaguely Russian but something much more substantial, much more objective – the real cultural and political history and opposition of rational (classical) thinking and so called “non-classical”, or “post-modernist” one arising from this history. Also it reflects the highest degree of alienation and marketisation <http://multitran.ru/c/m.exe?a=118&t=2669388_1_2>  which involves now academic field so that research from passionate searching truth turned to cool calculating production of salable substitute products.

David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com>  <mailto:vaughndogblack@yahoo.com%3e%20>  wrote:

	Marxism, as a method, can include both the (metaphorical) use of the word "reflection" (in the sense that Cyrillic "reflects" spoken Russian) and the brilliant synthesis of a genetic, functional, and structural explanation that we find in books like "Thinking and Speech" and "Marxism and the Philosophy of Language".

Your statement that “Marxism, as a method, can include” this and that, sounds as an expert opinion. Surely I entirely recognize your right to be an expert in this and many other fields and you probably are such an expert. And yet, can you be so kind to specify what do you mean when you are referring to “Marxism as a method”? I put this question because it seems to me that we use the term “Marxism” in slightly different sense.
As for me, I had luck to communicate with Ilyenkov during his last years so my Marxism was directly influenced by Evald Vasil’evitch. Even when I dare to argue with some of his definitions, I try to formulate my argumentation in strict concordance with his Marxist or simply dialectical logic.
Surely I know that according the modern academic tradition “Marxist” is a person who publicly declares his/her adherence to Marxism exactly as a Christian is a person who declares that he/she loves Christ. It is considered excessive to demand a proof of the fact. (At least in modern Protestantism.) Even more it is considered inappropriate. As if asking for such proof we encroach on smb's privacy.
Surely if we consider Marxism a quasi-religion and in popular neo-Kantian manner regard it as a special set of “values”, all what we have said previously is quite correct.
But what if we concede a heretical idea that Marx was not neo-Kantian but was a Marxist, and that he believed that his theory has some objective, scientific sense, and that he had really succeeded in transformation of philosophy, historiography and political economy from false and venal ideology into objective science?  In this hardly probable case my modest wish to be presented scientific proofs when we discuss Marxism, sounds a little more convincing, doesn’t it? (Incidentally I voluntary use the term “scientific” in broad Marxist sense as a definition of objective, true cognition. Not in neo-Kantian sense as description of supposedly specific naturalistic type of cognition. Just as Ilyenkov and Karl Marx used to use it.)
So when I state that both Vygotsky and Voloshinov were not Marxists I don’t mean that they had some specific incompatible with Marxism values. I don't care about their values at all. Their values are nothing more than details of their personal biography. Especially as because their values were substantially different, I guess. What I really mean is that their theoretic position was very far from Marxism and that is easy to prove without much trouble.
Let’s put Vygotsky aside for some time not to hurt his fans. The personality of the author of “MARXISM AND THE PHILOSOPHY OF LANGUAGE” whoever it was is handier for critical analysis.  Firstly because he is less personalized, and secondly and essentially because his theoretic ideas are substantially better articulated than Vygotsky’s.
Let's examine a fragment from Voloshinov’s text and start from translating it from his special probably influenced by Rosicrucianism :-) language to more standard Marxist one. I mean let's change the term “ideology” to “ideality”. Such substitution is not only possible, but also useful for the sense of the text because it eliminates a strong smack of self-travesty from the text.
	Any ideological product is not only itself a part of reality (natural or social), just as is any physical body, any instrument of production, or any product for consumption, it also, in contradistinction to these other phenomena, reflects and refracts another reality outside of itself. Everything ideological possesses meaning: it represents, depicts, or stands for something lying outside of itself. In other words, it is a sign. Without signs there is no ideology. A physical body equals itself, so to speak; it does not signify anything but wholly coincides with its particular, given nature. In this case, there is no question of ideology.
If the Author of the text actually considers the ideology or the false consciousness we have nothing here to discuss. Falsehood per se hasn’t its own measure or law. This is something that was evident even for ancient philosophers. On the contrary the truth has its law and measure. Truth is a measure not only for itself but for lie too. Thus a straight line is a measure not only for straightness, but for crookedness too. That is something that was absolutely clear even for Aristotle.
>From the other side the Author’s text permits substitution of ideology to ideality, moreover it will only benefit from it.
Let’s read it redrafted <file:///C:\Users\AVRamus\AppData\Local\Temp\Word_0> .
	Any ideal thing or ideality per se is not only itself a part of reality (natural or social), just as is any physical body, any instrument of production, or any product for consumption, it also, in contradistinction to these other phenomena, reflects and refracts another reality outside of itself. Everything ideal possesses meaning: it represents, depicts, or stands for something lying outside of itself. In other words, it is a sign. Without signs there is no ideal. A physical body equals itself, so to speak; it does not signify anything but wholly coincides with its particular, given nature. In this case, there is no question of ideality.

The first definition which underlines the representative character of ideality is rather exact. Here Ilyenkov's and the Author's positions are very close, not to say identical. But the usage of the word “refract” contains a single nuance that tells one from the other. For materialist Ilyenkov as well as for Spinoza and Marx not to mention <file:///C:\Users\AVRamus\AppData\Local\Temp\Word_2>  objective idealists Plato and Hegel the main sense of ideality is its ability to reflect the true nature of its object. I repeat - true, undistorted.
That is why they will never coquette with the term "refract" or even “distort” like Voloshinov in his “Marxism…” and Vygotsky in his “Historical sense…” did.
	Thus the latter insisted that psyche “…is an organ of selection, a sieve filtering the world and changing it so that it becomes possible to act. In this resides its positive role – not in reflection (the non-mental reflects as well; the thermometer is more precise than sensation), but in the fact that it does not always reflect correctly, i.e., subjectively distorts reality to the advantage of the organism.”
I wonder what kind of magic makes possible that this distortion acts certainly to the advantage of the subject? And not to its disadvantage?
Divine Providence?
Is that just what you mean essentially “materialistic” and moreover “Marxist” solution?
What is indisputable that an ideality can't be understood from a single thing but necessarily needs relation of two things in which the first one represents the other. And here the main question emerges: what type of representation leads us to true understanding of an object, to its ideal representation, and what representation can lead us to false, or distort image, lead us to IDEOLOGY in its genuine Marxist scornful sense.
Strictly speaking we have scanty choice between two. The first one is well known sign representation with aid of conventional sign. Evidently it can reflect nothing but subjective will of a person who designates something with aid of this sign. And it does not matter if this person is a single man or woman or the convention has a “social” character, is a social convention. Paper or even better electronic money is a striking example of such a social convention which works only inside the society which has established this convention. In a virgin forest or in a desert your bank-papers or plastic cards can serve you at the best as kindling for your campfire so that all their ideality will soon vanish into smoke.
(BTW Vygotsky’s signs were closer to more primitive personal convention, like in Sakharov-Vygotsky experiment with so called artificial concepts, while Voloshinov evidently appealed to social convention.)
The alternative to conventional type of representation is representation by instruments of labour. The form of the latter as contrasted to conventional sign is something substantially objective and independent from any subjective will all the same individual or social. Thus the form of a splitting axe reflects the cleavability of a log whereas the form of a spoon reflects the fluidity of its content. The same ideal representation we can find in a bird’s wing that represents the nature of air and flight. From this materialistic account all signs and symbols can be regarded only as derivative and secondary to instruments of labor form of ideality. That is why a human language as res symbolice can be acquired by a child only after he/she starts to utilize tools, and never in reverse order. That is not only a theoretic statement but an empirical fact.
Meanwhile both Vygotsky and Voloshinov rejected the idea that instruments of labor can reflect anything. Vygotsky declared that a tangible tool can’t play a role of psychological tool, can’t mediate our psychic activity because it is directed incorrectly. Instead of be directed straight on the soul, or at least on the Pineal gland, an implement is directed on the tangible object. That is why the mediation needs a special immaterial tool and Vygotsky thought up an arbitrary sign as such tool. He asserted that between a tool of thinking or psychological tool and material instrument of labour is only relation of analogy. That is to say between them there is no relation at all.
Voloshinov’s attitude to instruments of labor as a mean of idealization is even more negative that Vygotsky’s one.
	“A tool by itself is devoid of any special meaning; it commands only some designated function – to serve this or that purpose in production. The tool serves that purpose as the particular, given thing that it is, without reflecting or standing for anything else. However, a tool may also be converted into an ideological sign. Such, for instance, is the hammer and sickle insignia for the Soviet Union. In this case, hammer and sickle possesses a purely ideological meaning. Additionally, any instrument of production may be ideologically decorated. Tools used by prehistoric man are covered with pictures or designs – that is, with signs. So treated, a tool still does not, of course, itself become a sign.”
 The hammer and sickle insignia as an example of an “ideological sign” is an evident mockery. Indeed the hammer and sickle insignia was utilized by Soviet leaders for the purpose of “ideological decoration” of real exploiter relations of wage labour in cities and serfdom in “Kolkhoze” villages. In other words this sign was utilized ideologically indeed. Here the term “ideology” was applied correctly.
But ideality per se is something opposite to “ideology”. As a philosophical category it was aimed to find true, not ideological solutions of the problem of cognition. It has to give us a chance to explain objective, not arbitrary character of our theoretical concepts. And the idea of “thinking as specific object oriented modus operandi of thinking (or living) body” as well as the idea that the first and concretely universal form of ideality in human practice is nothing but instruments of labour are real materialistic and dialectic alternative to the dead end of conventionalism.
Surely we can treat Marxism widely and insist that it includes the metaphorical use of the word "reflection" as well as of many other “words”.
But though we regard strict scientific style of reasoning as much more appropriate for scientific and even more “Marxist” research than “metaphorical” one. Surely if we discuss the real painful problems of today and not practice the ambiguous ideological verbiage.
As for evident Marxist Lenin with his definitions of “reflection” and all the more for such questionable Marxists as Vygotsky and Voloshinov I think that it is useless even to try to discuss them “…without having thoroughly studied and understood the whole of…” Ilyenkov’s Dialectical Logic and all other of his late works including “Dialectic of Ideality”.
David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com>  <mailto:vaughndogblack@yahoo.com%3e%20>  wrote:
	But Vygotsky is very clear that we are looking at something that develops, and that later on, the older child really is able to make anything into anything.
You are absolutely right. Vygotsky was very clear in his discourse about “development” indeed. Even when he mixed it up with degradation. Certainly the older child is wise enough to lie calling even a snowflake a spade when we as his parents, or teachers, or bosses press him/her for it. But the problem is how to prevent such alienating from the truth “development”, not to greet it. At least if we pretend to be Marxists.

Cheers,
Alexander (Sasha) Surmava