Re: [xmca] meaning potential and cultural artifacts

Carol, as contradictory as it may seem, I would say that it is ever so much easier to understand and agree on what a "word" is than what a "concept" is. But it helps in understanding what a concept is if we know that for Vygotsky, *the word is a sign for a concept*. In the meantime, even if we don't have the faintest idea or agreement on exactly what a concept is, we have enough of a shared understanding of what 'concept' means to figure out what can be a sign for a concept. So for example "on" is not a sign for a concept and "that" only barely in combination with context and gestures etc., but "Holy Trinity" is even though it is also 2 words, is a sign for a concept, and likewise "social situation of development" is, in a pedantic sense 4 words, but together are the sign for a concept, and would be a word, in the context of what Vygotsky means when he talks about "word meaning" and so on, "social situation of development" is a word, as a "social," "situation" and "development." I think what Vygotsky is talking about is on a different level from "phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics and discourse analysis."

Does that make sense?
Andy

Carol Macdonald wrote:
Andy
Since you have a very rich notion of concept, could you just expand a little for us?
Carol