Re: [xmca] distance learning

Hi Everyone!
If any of you teach undergrads, this might be useful.
I had my first classes of the new semester yesterday .
The topic was on  regional dialects of English  as a way
to introduce Multicultural Education and my students.
What struck me was, they were so young that they
 had never heard of the movie "Fargo".

Here is a profile of the mindset of the class of 2015.

http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2015/

Robert Lake

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nothing like chatting with the neighbors to keep up one's spirits on a
> cloudy day,
> Denise! Aren't we a distance learning group?? Darn near 24/7.
> :-)
> mike
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Newnham Denise <dsnewnham@bluewin.ch
> >wrote:
>
> > HI all xmca's
> >
> > I am doing my PhD with Bath and live in Switzerland that means that I
> spend
> > many hours alone in front of books and texts attempting to understand
> what
> > is going on. It is extremely lonely at times and although the collective
> > learning can be understood to come through the words of the authors there
> > are no minds to bounce off. I would really like to thank all xmca's for
> > their interesting and mind opening debates. Sometimes when I am stuck
> > suddenly someone writes on just that problem area. These debates are what
> > makes me keep going and where I feel that I belong to a collective mind.
> >

> > I actually recommend to distance learning institutions to do something
> > similar even if it is only internal,  it is really psychologically
> > (cognitive etc) a great help and comfort.
> >

> > Thank you all
> >
> > Denise

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.