Re: [xmca] Bransom's Inferentialism Further Reflections

Andy
As I read Taylor's article I was reading his version of context as how
perspectives on phenomena [in this case speech acts]  are understood from
particular frameworks.  Speech acts, when viewed from an atomistic
perspective START with words and then build up to sentences.  Bransom and
Taylor criticize this form of analysis. Bransom privleges the assertive
aspects of language [the giving and receiving of reasons] as the foundation
of language.  This giving and receiving of reasons is produced within
specific practical forms of activity.
Charles Taylor suggests this is a profound move to locate language use
within practices and involves embedding language use in a more inclusive
context exploring multiple uses of language.  However, Taylor is cautious
that Bransom does not make a move to an even more expansive context which
Taylor refers to as a "form of life"  What Taylor is pointing to is the
recognition that the particular assertoric language uses are generated
within particular historically constituted forms of life.  Taylor is
suggesting that Bransom's privileging the assertoric language use [REASON
ALONE] as adequate to explain language  is itself a position embedded within
a particular historically constructed "form of life"  Taylor is suggesting
Bransom's position on language use can only emerge within a particular
historical context. Taylor uses the term context to suggest Bransom is
working within a particular context which is  narrower than "form of life".
Bransom's narrower context of language use as judgements and assertions  is
too restrictive. Taylor is suggesting that to make sense Bransom's position
must be embedded within a wider context of the whole range of ymbolic forms
[which includes gestures, music, etc] Taylor references Wittgenstein for the
suggestion that particular perspectives and actions such as assuming "reason
alone" is sufficient to solve our predicaments are assumed within a
particular way of life.  Taylor is trying to make the point that Bransom's
position CANNOT exist within Bransom's own self-imposed boundaries.  We need
to look to "ways of life" to situate Bransom's position as making "sense".
 Andy, Taylor returns to the central question, Is reason ALONE adequate to
solve predicaments.  Bransom brilliantly articulates the pragmatic
processes of  giving and askinf for  reasons. But for Taylor, Bransom has
not moved far enough into the more inclusive "form of life" without which
Bransom's more narrower perspective would NOT make sense and Bransom's
reasons ALONE could not exist on their own.  Taylor is pointing out that
each form of life makes particular "cuts" or uses "scissors" to make
particular distinctions.  For Taylor the "assertoric/disclosive" cut [from
withIN his theoretical perspective] is a central distinction. Reason ALONE
is not a self-sufficient language use. In our particular historical period
we may narrow the range of operations we include as language and the reason
Taylor suggests for embracing this narrower context [reasons as
self-sufficient] is to FACILITATE finding common conclusions. By focusing on
reasons alone, using neutral terms to explain phenomena and predicaments we
move to a stance of disengagement from the disclosive forms of language use
[dismissed as merely private and subjective]  This form of practice of
dismissing the disclosive dimension is accomplished by stating that the
disclosive realm is without any "real object" and is therefore
"metaphysical".

 Andy, Taylor's explanation of how our current "form of life" as dismissing
certain language uses as merely metaphysical does seem to be a boundary
marker or a particular way of "cutting" the world [making distinctions]  For
Taylor the disclosive realm is what "moves us" in our predicaments and
language use  is central within this disclosive realm. Taylor is suggesting
that Bransom may be "ontologizing" a particular METHOD of giving and asking
for reasons as a "form of life" and as THE method to resolve all our
predicaments. This reductive move may segregate the disclosive realm into
being merely within the private sphere and separate it from the public
sphere [in our historically situated form of life]. As I understand Taylor
this form of demarcation is a boundary marker [form of cutting] that
separates the disclosive from the assertoric speech acts. Taylor's question
to Bransom is,
"Is there more contextualization we have to make?"
The answer for Taylor is that the practice of giving and receiving answers
only makes sense within a broader contextualization which views the
assertoric and disclosive language uses as intetwined within a particular
form of life.  To narrow the context to "reason alone" is to confuse a
"method" for an "ontology"  The disclosive realm is the ESSENTIAL background
for our most immediately practical discourse. The disclosive cannot be
excluded from the public giving of and asking for reasons. Even within
science, mathematics, and logic "there is a continuing and irremovable
presence of the articulative-disclosive".  The kind of person who attempts
to operate under the ethic of using reason alone  "is inseparable from the
development of a particular kind of self-consciousness and self-examination
and self-scrutiny. For Taylor THIS points to a "way of life" [context]
Within THIS way of life your words may be disqualified if you are violating
the "reason alone" precepts. For Taylor THIS particular KIND of language
game can only be operationalized within a particular way of life [broader
context] that includes disqualifying articulative-disclosive considerations
in the giving and asking for particular kinds of reasons. This particular
way of life is understood within a particular ethic of how we should
proceed.  Science when following this kind of narrowed language use
is participating in "science-fiction"  For Taylor we are not capable of
being guided by reason alone.

Andy, this extended answer may be "too general" and too repetitive or may be
so obvious and "common sense" within the CHAT community. However, I continue
to be engaged by John Shotter's perspective of speech acts as "con-scientia"
[knowing with].  If this is "merely" metaphysical "ideality" I am willing to
consider other perspectives.  However, I sense a common thread between
Taylor and Shotter's understanding of speech acts as intertwining reasoning
and the disclosive.  When reading Ingold's development of his themes from
"production" to "history" to "dwelling" and now exploring "lines" as paths
of wayfaring I also see an exploration of the disclosive dimension of speech
acts.
I'm willing to concede that Taylor's use of the term "contexts" may be too
fuzzy and indistinct and needs further articulation.[or use a different
phrase.  However the theme which Taylor, Shotter, Rey, Ingold, Merleau-Ponty
and others are exploring of "ways of life" or "dwelling in the world" seems
to have some merit.  Boundary demarcation seems to have a place in these
ways of observing and participating in the world and what is considered
important to notice and observe.  Everyday expressions within  communicative
practices  need from Taylor's perspective can only be understood within
particular "ways of life"

Larry

Larry