From: Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Plying Frames and the Planet of the Apes
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Monday, August 15, 2011, 3:43 PM

David,

When I was a grad student at UCB I took a class with Jonas Langer, a dedicated and knowledgeable Piagetian. I wrote a paper in which I proposed that the shift in sensorimotor substages that takes place towards the end of the first year of life was perhaps related to the fact that the infant is at that time starting to walk. The proposal was roundly rejected - the rationality of even sensorimotor development was, conventional wisdom had it, independent of such bodily phenomena as locomotion. And if that were true of the practical intelligence of infancy, how much more must it be so of preoperational and operational intelligences.

So yes, I do believe that the cognitive revolution, and also the constructivist revolution, did indeed repress the body in their accounts of cognition. A good historian of ideas could probably trace the origins of this, but I'm not and I won't.

I'm quite comfortable saying that the biological is the basis of communication and also the beginning. But I don't think it is *only* the beginning. Or would you suggest that the intellect can at some point slough off its corporal origins?

Martin