RE: [xmca] RE: Interpretation of theory and research and changes in the practice of teaching

Nice metaphors, Phillip. Your word ventriloquate is an interesting choice;
so your students essentially "give voice" to a particular theory. Hmmm...

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of White, Phillip
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:29 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: RE: [xmca] RE: Interpretation of theory and research and changes in
the practice of teaching

Monica, what you write here parallels my own experience in my practices as a
teacher of teachers as well as a teacher of those who wish to become
teachers, and finally, as a teacher of elementary school aged children.

theories are so often sleek and clear as glass -

life, practice, teaching is messy  -  a living, highly unpredictable system
replete with the unexpected and surprising, as well as bewildering and
maddening, enthralling and quickening.

i do attempt to do as you do, encourage students to develop a philosophy -
and though the goal is for the philosophy to be "their own" - i expect that
for the brief time that they'll be with me (a year or two) that mostly they
will ventriloquate a theorist that they particularly identify with (that
whole issue of the intertwining of identity and emotions, intellect and
experiences, body and cultural contexts which begins to constitute a
person), because it takes many years of experience before a individual can
really "own" a theory within their constituted "self".

i have a great passion for theories - and like Foucault, see theory as
autobiography.  and like Bateson, i believe that since i'm a part of all the
theories that i practice, i can never see or understand it all, simply
because i am inseparable from the system.

but i think i share with you the pleasure of the exploration all the while
knowing that the exploration is abundant with blunders and misapprehensions,
mistakes and unexpected insights.

phillip

Phillip White, PhD
University of Colorado Denver