Re: [xmca] RE: The Social Creation of Inequality

>From my own personal experience in a 5D-inspired, but wholly different kind
of university-community partnership here in San Diego, the following strike
me as all critically true all at the same time:

1) From Don:

Finally, one of the things we've tried to do is build a strong team culture
> for our undergrads, most of whom remain with the program for several years.
>  As new undergrads join us, the more experienced undergrad team members
> enculturate them in our collective values and practices, which has provided
> quality and continuity in ways of working with kids and working with peers
> on the team.  It is the team of students who have constructed most  of the
> adaptations I mentioned earlier.  The team operates as a collective
> leadership group, which seems to build their investment in and commitment to
> the program and its underlying principles.

2) From Andy:

I have found in my own work that having a "keeper of the dream" is important
> for any project. If any specific thing is to be achieved, there must be
> exactly one person in the institution who "keeps the dream", whose life
> depends on the project and who thinks of nothing else, who is able to revise
> the aims and rules of the project, and modify the realisation of the dream
> as required and *fight* for it.

3) community members, specially the community incarnation of the dream
keeper.

I have seen the dream in the partnership I speak of (
http://tclearninglounge.org ) become more shared and more "real" over the
last 4 1/2 years, but morphing at every single stage according to the
unpredictable combination of at least the factors above (I would add, in a
Latourian vein, a number 4) the actants that can't speak  in understandable
English for themselves).

Without 1 and 3, it seems to me the Dream Keeper risks keeping only just
that.

"Continuity" in these scenarios is an interesting question, for what exactly
is the thing that continuous?  This seems to me quite analogous to (or a
definition of) mind --pulled along through the interaction/intersection of
various moving, and frequently disjoint, "dreams" that touch down here and
there in activity, and hold somehow (yet ever changing) over time.

ivan