RE: [xmca] John Shotter in 1995 discussing the link between Wittgenstein and Vygotsky

I agree, Andy, with your point about everyday life and institutional life
being unnecessarily dichotomized. You end that section of your comments with
"The two can only be understood through the mutual transformation of one
into the other." Can you explain more about what you mean with that?
Transformation might imply that one turns into the other, but when you add
"mutual" you are saying they are interrelated and cannot be two different
things?

You also make the point that philosophy is not the same thing as science and
that Wittgenstein didn't have the same considerations Vygotsky in trying to
develop psychology as a science. This is why Shotter, brings them together,
isn't it? I would say this is really one of the main foci for the different
threads of these discussions: How human activity, both practice and
thinking, are shaped by the field/discipline/method of approach or inquiry
and what are understood to be the requirements and obligations of that line
of inquiry in regard to method. What Vygotsky was trying to do with his line
of argument was to remedy the crisis as he saw it in working towards a
better, more inclusive science? And philosophers, they are what,
rationalizing and using words? Is this the chiasm, where one point of view
has to be brought to bear upon the other?

Monica