Re: [xmca] The 'activity' concept in CHAT

Nathaniel, here http://www.erythrospress.com/store/classics.html you can buy three classic works on Activity Theory, AN Leontyev's Development of Mind, Mescheryakov's Awakening to Life and Ilyenkov's The Ideal in Human Activity. All very cheap to boot. Here http://vimeo.com/groups/39473/videos/sort:plays you can view a bunch of videos including a two-part lecture by Mary van der Riet which introduces Activity Theory from an Engestrom point of view and that's for free. Or http://www.amazon.com/Interdisciplinary-Activity-Studies-Critical-Sciences/dp/1608461459/ addresses itself to the question "what is an activity" from an interdisciplinary perspective.

Andy
Nathaniel Dumas wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

I hope all is well. I am currently designing a syllabus for an anthropology seminar, “Activities as Ethnographic and Analytical Foci,” and one of the first questions we ask in the seminar is “What is an activity?” from different disciplinary perspectives (including anthropology, psychology, and sociology). That said, could anyone recommend a few titles from CHAT that deal particularly with this question? The classics that come to my mind is the Lave and Wenger's works in addition to Leont'ev's essay on the activity. Thus, I'm curious if there are any other contemporary writings on this concept. Feel free to reply to me offline at ndumas@linguistics.ucsb.edu, if you prefer.
Best,

Nathaniel Dumas
UC President's Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Linguistics