[xmca] vygotsky in perspective: kategoria

Mike, I was wondering if these experiences can be tied together with a rather strange connection? May I thank *Deanya Lattimer*, a fairly new XMCA correspondent whose discipline is Rhetoric, for the attached article entitled "Kategoria and Apologeia" from the /Quarterly Journal of Speech/. It seems that the ancients catgorised speeches (as in oratory) into two basic genre, viz., accusatory and defensive, a.ka. kategoria and apologeia. "Apologeia" is a term fairly well known in common parlance, but if you are in the business of political speech writing and so on, kategoria is an even more important concept. By making an accusatory speech, either against person or policy, it is said that you *create *an image, while apologeia can only try to *modify *the image created by kategoria or accusatory speech (think of accusative case in grammar). Or in common parlance, when you throw mud, some always sticks. Once you have accused someone, you have created an image, and it down to the accused to try to clean off the mud. So it seems that this technique of making a point, by means of kategoria, or accusatory speech, is as old as civilisation itself. The interesting thing is that this is exactly how our friend who first drew our attention to "kategoria" works, by accusing everyone in sight of this or that atrocity! Separately, another friend has provided me with a translation of of the /Soviet Dictionary of Philosophy/ of the 1950s, entry on kategoria, written by Spirkin, and although this definition basically goes just as we would all expect, following mainly Kant's line of interpretation of Category and Marxist criticis of it, it does recognise at the outset among the various meanings of "kategoria" in Rusian "accusation". So I suspect that the situation in Russian may not be a lot different from what it is in English. Separately again, while it does indeed seem that Meyerhold's dictionary is lost to us, he has a complete works published in French translation, which I am currently looking into.

Andy

mike cole wrote:
Seriously Anton? I was asked to review the book but had to decline for
ethical reasons.

I guess if this is as good as V&V  that checks me out of the game.  So far
as I can tell, people like Jim Wertsch and I were SO wrong, that either we
were unbelievably stupid (in which case, what nefarious things did we do to
be allowed to do any interpreting at all!?) or
we are just a bad lot. Or maybe both?

As Peter says, it stops short of shooting!
mike