From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of David Kellogg
Sent: Thu 7/14/2011 1:18 AM
To: Culture ActivityeXtended Mind
Subject: RE: [xmca] FW: vygotsky in perspective

Michael:

I see you are a good translator: you have a lot of tolerance for ambiguity. Yes, it's possible to read it with a very tolerant eye, and say that mediation is a really good thing, and that mediated memory is pretty perfect with respect to natural, eidetic meory and that mediated perception is super improved with unmediated perception (which we may imagine as a kind of unpleasant mythical beast, like a manticore or a basilisk, rather than a unicorn).

But as you point out, this fuzzy interpretation doesn't help us quite as much with the word "retrograde", does it? The actual meaning here is "reflexive" or "reciprocal", in the sense of using signs on one's own self. That is not, in any known sense of the word, retrograde; quite the contrary; it's extremely progressive.

If you read the longer passage (Chapter Four of Tool and Sign) you will see that we CANNOT say that mediation is really just an improvement on natural functions; it's a qualitatively new stage, which in many cases actually interferes with and thwarts the natural function (hence crises, U-shaped curves of development, revolutions).

And I think even this is not enough, because Vygotsky disagrees with Vygotsky, and to understand the later Vygotsky you really have to know the earlier one. Long ago, when I was reviewing articles for MCA, we had an article which was given a "revise and resubmit" by both myself and the other reviewer, but which was then rejected by the editor on the grounds that the author did not mention the key concept of mediation. I complained that lots of Vygotskyans (e.g. MacNeill) do not accept the idea of mediation and I had qualms about it myself.

Lukacs considers the whole concept of mediation to un-Marxist and revisionist. Vygotsky, in "Thinking and Speech", hardly mentions mediation at all. My own feeling is that Vygotsky revised the whole concept, because he recognized that tool-mediation and sign-mediation are qualitatively different processes, and only the latter can be said to be reflexive and reciprocal and semantic (but in no conceivable sense retrograde).

So I think that the Ur-concept of mediation had to be functionally differentiated. In its place we find meaning, which Vygotsky differentiates, in good turn, into sense and signification (but we can easily imagine much finer differentiations in between). I'm not sure about this. But of two things I am quite reasonably sure:

a) In order to understand WHY Vygotsky does not really mention mediation at all in Thinking and Speech (the book which we must consider his intellectual last will and testament) we do have to understand what it did when he DID use it, and then try to understand how he managed to do that without the concept of mediation, what it was he put in its place and why, ergo:

b) An MCA which tries to impose a SINGLE Vygotsky on all the different possible Vygotskies would never have published the real Vygotsky himself. The WHOLE of Thinking and Speech is a conversation that the dying Vygotsky, in the final three months of his life, is having with the Vygotsky of five years earlier--and they had a LOT to talk about.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education .