From: mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:31:38 PM
Subject: Re: [xmca] Redundancy in "Tool and Sign"

You guys should have seen the typography shop at Moscow State in the early
1960's -- like Singer sewing machines from the 1920's. Paper? You have got
be joking!

Anton-- The story I heard, from those who should know, is that Peter
Tulviste and
Nick Goldberg were involved in the production of that English version I got.
What they were given I do not know. That THEY did a lot of messing with the
text is doubtful, although mistranslations could, of course, abound.
SomeoneS else must have.... people who kept track of it during the
evacuation in 1941, others who got it into the hands of those who gave it to
me.

If the authorities at the airport had found those papers in my luggage I
would have been one very unhappy camper, and so would those who broke Soviet
law to "get it out." I had no idea in the world that "it" would get very far
out and like a lighted match on a pool of gasoline, cause a boom. I thought
no one would bother to read it.
I would like to think that the boom did not kill anyone.

It will be more fascinating lifetimes of work to figure out what "it" is.
Good luck hunting!
mike