Re: [xmca] Re: ye native speakers of English

Oh I see, Monica! :) In the sense that I managed to skip formal training in any of the relevant disciplines, I too am somewhat of an immigrant in the world of academia, but I admit that living within the walls of academia, has had its effect on me. I'm a bit like one of those eminent citizens in the US who are in fact "illegals."

Andy

Monica Hansen wrote:
Andy:
I'm so glad you didn't realize! I AM a native speaker of common American
dialect of English that in my formative years had nothing to do with
academia --I'm still trying to move beyond it ;).
In a developed discourse, or "tradition of scientific analysis", common
words are often appropriated and nuanced in a way that may be different from
use in another discourse community. When reading posts or any text, I roll
along merrily thinking I understand what is being said-- unless there is a
burr or sticking point, something that does not resonate. "Co-extensive" was
one of these points for me, a little reminder that I cannot assume everyone
uses words in the same way. To me, an opportunity for clarification and
further education.

Thanks so much for your help.

Monica