[xmca] Discursive Activity & Chiasmatic Interweaving

Andy & Tony, [and others interested in discourse and activity]

The discussion between Anna Sfard and Andy, with other articles sent by Mike
[Engestrom and Lomov] have opened up a fascinating topic.

I'm going to attach another article by John Shotter that explores a similar
theme to the concept of "fusions of horizons" by Gadamer.  John's article
"Cartesian Change, Chiasmic Change: the Power of Living Expression" is
another perspective on a similar theme.  John is referring to
Merleau-Ponty's last book "The Visible and the Invisible". Chapter 4 of that
book is titled "The Intertwining - The Chiasm"  As I mentioned earlier, the
paradigmatic example of chiasmatic change is binocular vision which is more
than mere blending.  Binocular vision APPEARS undivided. Both Bateson and
Merleau-Ponty take this paradigmatic example as an example of the more
general way our living relations are intertwined to our surroundings within
a living world of expression.  I will paraphrase John Shotter to give an
example of his perspective

Much more is happening than mere blending, amalgamation, or interweaving of
separate constituents which remain identifiably separate even when
completely interwoven. Something utterly new and novel is being created.
This is the recognition of the fact that our relations to our surroundings
are not simply relations of a causal kind, or of a systematic kind, logical
kind, or rational kind..  Our relations to our surroundings are also of a
living dynamic kind.  We often pre-suppose a non-living world of earth and
rocks to which we ADAPT or die, a world that is just there, independently of
our living participation with it, and we relate to that world mechanically.
(page 9)

This is an example of the style of John Shotter's discourse. I thought
others may be interested in his perspective.

Larry