Re: [xmca] Numbers - Natural or Real?

hi anna,

Appreciate that you are busy. If you get a chance to read the Devlin
article http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_01_09.html  then I'd be interested
in your thoughts about it.

Agree with you that quantity is prior to counting. Once kids can count then
should a maths curriculum focus more on natural numbers or real numbers?

Natural numbers arise from the desire / need for peoples to keep track of
their possessions and trade with one another.

Systems of measurement (length and area) arise in order to measure land,
plant crops and eventually to design and erect buildings.

Western curriculum starts with positive whole numbers and addition and
proceeds through negative numbers and rationals. This may give rise to the
belief that natural numbers are somehow more basic or fundamental than the
reals.

But both natural numbers and reals arise directly from our real world
experience in parallel out of different cognitive processes used for
different purposes with neither dependent on the other.

This is the background context which to me makes the Soviet / Davydov
alternative a very interesting one to consider. Devlin briefly discusses the
implications of the different approach for teaching of concepts such as
multiplication, etc.

I still haven't read the Schmittau article, which is referenced by Devlin
and was posted by Larry and which appears to discuss the implications in
more detail, eg. for the teaching of algebra